283`s are nice !!

bobs409

Administrator
283's are nice! Mine purrs like a kitten. When it's idling, you can barely hear it run. (well, when it's actually in the car) :D

They are a really great cruising engine. Reliable and good performance. Not all cars need big blocks (or for the benefit of DQ, medium W-blocks :D )

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
All NICE !! I just could deal with seeing a "1990" thread heading !! heee heee
Sorry 007,,,, nothing personal,,,,,dq

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
69 Z-28

Just found this photo of my Z-28 taken in 72.This 302 would blow away Road Runners and Mustang Mach I's :D

Attachments

• Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 199

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Jim,
That's a great picture. Love to see them old photos.
I would bet you wouldn't mind having that camaro back again.

scooter64

283's and 302's

283's and 302's are very good little motors. the 302 was a monster. ive got a 283 its been bored .125 to a 301 and boy does it wind up :) anyway just saying hi im a new member............scooter

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome

scooter,welcome aboard going by your profile sounds like your looking for your first W-Engine? :)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
327 are nice too!

Jim:

I bet you wish you had that Z-28 back again!

I have a 1963 Corvette Coupe with the 340 horse 327 engine, and she revs real nice :) Can't wait to see what a stroked 409 is like!

Best,
TomK

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Z-28

Droptop & Tom,Thanks for the kind words,the reason i had to get rid of the Z-28 is because my fiancee could not push in the stiff clutch or drive a 4 speed.I traded it in on a new 74 Mercury Cougar 6 mo later i dumped her for cheating on me.

The replacement for the Z was 409 powered 57 Chevy :D

bummerino

283's are great engines , I have a completed one on my engine stand looking for a body to put it in. it's a 1966. My 66 ss chevelle ragtop has it's original 396 and i just picked up a cherry 66 442 the only thing missing is the short block, it has , m21, posi,sway bars front and back. was stored the last 10 years. Now I am in the market for a 66 400 cuin olds motor to make it as stock as possible

Southtowns27

Well Known Member
Here's my 283
388854_3_full.jpg

It's in my '55 Willys CJ5
388854_2_full.jpg

My circle track engine builder put it together for me... Man does it run nice. It's a great combination of power and reliability. It commutes 80+ miles a day and can blow a lot of stuff off the road :)

scooter64

283's

283's are a kickass motor. ive got one in my 64 nova its bored .125 to 301 with 12:5:1's a 1st desgin offroad dz-302 cam the pistons are also dz's. just wanting to toss my 2 cents in and say hi cause in a new member didnt wanna lurk to long.........................scooter

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
On 283's
Brother had a 283 in his 1962 Impala. It went over 200,000 miles without a rebuild or blowing smoke. (Regular oil changes). The body and frame didn't last as long as the engine. Probably the best overall chevy V8 ever produced for everyday use, plus with modification they could run hard.

On 327's
Bought a dissassembled 327 for my own 1962 Impala SS. (three speed T-H matic with a strong shift kit). This engine could propel this ±2 ton car to the likes of beating some unlikely adversaries. The guys on this web site have done some research on the numbers of this 327. I am now a bit more edu-macated thanks to them.
It was a 1966 L-79 that would have been installed in a Chevy II. Advertised at 350Hp but according to some folks the HP rating was most likely somewhat more than that...just like the Z28-302's. I kept shift points just under 7,000 rpm. (I never told my two teenage sons that I outran the local authorities on two occasions with that car/engine). I was young, fearless and looking back...incredibly stupid. I'm thankfull I survived the "stupid /invincible" years. I'm still here for a reason I guess.

On 348's
No background on this to offer any real meaning to this post. However, I got another 62' Impala SS this year. It came with a 348-250hp single four barrel engine. We all know it wasn't built that way, but the rest of the car is really good. The first time I drove the car I was impressed by the torque of this engine. I was told it was completely rebuilt before I bought it. It runs really nice.

I remember heads turning for this car back in 1976. Almost 30 years have passed. Same response for the recently aquired 62' with the 348. Some expect a lo-rider. Sorry, that's not me.

On 409's

Well... Still waiting. Wanted one since I was 12. The 409 and Hi-Horse heads are fast approaching legend and sadly, I dont' think I will be included. So.... you guys with these legendary motors, I hope you go "Hemi-hunting" and tell the rest of us all about it. It's all good!

RCE1962

Huggies

Well Known Member
Got one in my new 63 rag top! you can barely hear it... you could think it's an inline 6...

Perfect for cruising... slowly...