283 Starter Question

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
On a '58 283 the starter bolts on the stock bellhousing. But now want to change transmission to a '64 powerglide. What year starter can I use so I can bolt the starter to the '58 block?

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
I dont think that you can

I could be wrong on this, (it's been a while since I played with early 283s)
BUT, I dont think that 283 had the stud bosses required for starter motor mounting until about 1961. You have to look at the right rear of the block to tell.
For sure this is the same problem for '57 Bel Airs with original 283s, Like I said though, I could be wrong on the '58-'60

You can bolt an aluminum PG to it but you wont be able to bolt a starter to it.

Personally, I would replace the engine block also (since originality is not really relavant) BUT, IF youre hell bent on retaining the original 283 block, you would have to buy a trans adaptor from Bendtsen' s that would allow you to bolt up a starter to it.

Rock :cool:

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Rock, thanks for your reply. There are two threaded holes above the starter position. I'm helping a friend out, unfortunately, the engine is not readily accessible to me. I know that there's a starter from a particular year that fits but I'm like you...it's been a long, long time since I fooled with an early 283, other than yanking it out of the car and replacing with a crate engine :) .