283 woes

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok fellas I picked up a supposedly good running 65 283 for 200$ with a edelbrock intake, holley 600 and a newer chevy hei, problem is it will not run, at first it would not pump fuel so new fuel pump but now all it does is pop and sputter. I took timing cover off and it's a new double roller. I have the batter terminal jumped to the battery timing is right distributor is aimed at # 1. This is the only motor I have ever had that has baffled me. Am I missing something with hei wiring but I know it has spark as it shoots flames. Trying to find a point distributor in it before I pull what's left of my hair out! Help!!!!

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sometime the wiring below the module plate will break and work sometimes and when it move it quits. Had one run then quit and just sputter and sometime run fine. :dunno

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Also a broken wire from the module to the pick up coil can do this.Make certain that your wiring sequence [firing order] is correct and in the right direction.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have the firing order correct and dots on cam gears are lined up just popping and occasional fire ball out of exhaust manifolds. Tempted to pull stock distributor out of my 396 car but hate taking cars apart for no reason.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Did you put the dist in pointing at #1 with the dots on the timing gears both pointing up or pointing at each other?

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The rotor is pointing at # 1 and both dots are pointing at each other. I have built a few motors, probally 20 of them including both of my 409's , a 348 , 671 blown 396 and numerous other chevy motors and my tons of 4 speeds but never messed with an hei. Fustrating as hell!!!!

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Oh thanks guys ,now I feel like a dumbass and will try again tomorrow after I fill my heater tank up.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I gotta get past the wife first as she's blocking the back door!!! Ha ha. Quality time you know?

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is at top dead center and have tried distributor both ways but believe this is 180 out now just popping still I give up.

Attachments

• 20170107_194406.jpg
    20170107_194406.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 60

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If you put the dist in at #1 with the marks lined up like this it will be 180 out.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The crank gear has 3 different marks the round dot is for top dead center then it has a triangle for retard and a square for advanced or vise versa but it's a top.. Beginning to think it's actually in the distributor.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Are you positive you are on compression stroke on #1 with mark on balancer about 6 degress btdc and rotor points to #1 cylinder ( left front) and the wiring on cap #1 is about the 5 o'clock position ,matches rotor and firing order clockwise is 18436572.....