3/8 three piece fuel line

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
I am beginning the reassembly of my 62 bare frame, and I have a question about the 3/8 fuel line. I bought a reproduction 3/8 fuel line to replace the standard line from my 6 cylinder. The original 5/16" line was one piece from the rear clamp near the top shock mount, outside the frame rail, across the top of the frame, down the inside frame rail on the passenger side, to the front.

I realize the new lines will have to be "massaged" a little.
I have a short line (which I think fits from the fuel pump up to the carbs).

I have a medium length line (which vaguely matches the bends from the rear fuel tank rubber up to the rear passenger X member) which is clamped with a bolted clamp at the rear near the tank.

I then have the longest piece which must run up the front frame rail. It really isn't close to fitting the contours of the frame rail. One end of it is probably 30" long and has no bends to it what so ever.

I don't understand how the connection is made from the rear piece to the intermediate piece, and how it fits.

I've been studying the AIM and can't find the diagram for this. Any help would be appreciated.:bang

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
If this is anything like my '59 the 3/8" gas line routes completely differently than the 5/16" one does. My line had to go through the center of the frame (there's a special hole near the drive shaft). It is connected with rubber hoses.

If you got this from Show Cars, call them back and ask them to send you the pages from the assembly manual (if you don't already have it) that show how the routing goes. The 3/8" gas line was part of the RPO for the 348 engine in '59 and I assume it's the same for you and a 409 (in '59 the 6-cyl and 283 both used 5/16" lines).

Jack

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Correct

Jack's answer is correct. You should have received 2 grommets that go in the front and back supports of the drive shaft tunnel. You middle gas line goes thru the grommets to keep it away from the frame. There are 3 steel hose clamps and bolts that hold your gas line in place...1 in the rear and 2 under the front RH upper a-arm. The front section of the 3/8" gas line goes between the top of your frame and under the RH upper a-arm.

Hope this helps!!

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
3/8 gas line

Hi guys I'm going to be doing the same to my 58 (5/16 to 3/8) (6 to 348)
haven't got that far yet but did notice the differences, would the installation be the same for the 58? The frames pretty much the same.
Would like to hear how you make out.
John

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
Thanks so much. I was studying the tunnel yesterday, when I was replacing my emergency brake cables. I didn't get any grommets, so I didn't try this configuration.
:clap

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Not much room

I took a look at my 58 today and can see that with the parking brake cables in there allready there isn't much room left.
Let me/us know how you make out.
Thanks John

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
not 58

Hi guys I'm going to be doing the same to my 58 (5/16 to 3/8) (6 to 348)
haven't got that far yet but did notice the differences, would the installation be the same for the 58? The frames pretty much the same.
Would like to hear how you make out.
John

On the 58's, the 3/8" gas line is totally different. It goes out on the rocker panel. It's easier to see once you have one.

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
3/8 gas line

Thanks Phil I have a new stainless line set but haven't got that far yet. But thanks again good to know.:clap

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Warning.

Yes, Chevy did route the 3/8” fuel line through the driveshaft tunnel. In my opinion you should avoid this routing at all costs. If for any reason the driveshaft breaks, or the carrier bearing, it could mangle the fuel line and spill fuel under the car. Also If you plan on racing your car at a NHRA or IHRA track the fuel line would not pass tech. :deal

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
Thanks Fatride,
What other changes from stock might a guy need to make to be legal if he wanted to make a dragstrip pass someday?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks Fatride,
What other changes from stock might a guy need to make to be legal if he wanted to make a dragstrip pass someday?

As far as the fuel line goes, common sense would prevail. Route the fuel line away from moving parts and exhaust manifolds. Last I knew you could not have over 12” of rubber line total in the system. Electric fuel pumps must have an oil pressure cutoff.switch. No glass fuel bowls. Rules are spelled out in the NHRA book.

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
B.c.

Hi Phil I live in Richmond B.C. It's about five minutes away from vancouver and Twenty minutes from the US / Can border
John