3 spd on the column and a 409

heddrik

Well Known Member
Sorry I got my foot in there, Phil will have to look the other way. This is the Muncie heavy duty 3 speed. Internals were nearly new, replaced both front and rear seals and bearings. Hard to find the front bearing cover, guy in Washington state machines them to fit from some other part, 4 speed I imagine.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Dang Heddrick, that’s a rare one!! Post pics of the side cover if you can. Very cool you’re keepin’ a three on the tree:good

Here’s to the SM318, worst 3 speed trans Chevrolet ever used :smash:smash:smash:smash. I hate that thing. Was hot stuff when it came out in 1934(ish), didn’t retire it until 1965!!!! Wtf!!

I second Dakota Tom on that one, the ‘65 and up SM326 is a huuuuuge upgrade, no comparison to its predecessor. Not the strongest but 10 fold stronger than a 318.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Bob Walla makes some iron replacement blocks,primarily for racing applications.It uses mostly big block internals.If you put that 3 seed trans behind even a mild 409 and the car gets anything resembling traction,that trans will turn into powder internally,hell they won't even hold up behind a mild small block.Show Cars will have the brackets that you'll need for the conversion.

I knew they were making an aluminum one, but I didn't see a cast Iron one. The Aluminum one is like 6k how much is the Iron one and is their any website articles on it? Can it be used on the street?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You'd need too contact Bob directly at Bob Walla Racing.In my many enjoyable conversations with Bob who I'm fortunate enough to call friend,I've never discussed block availibility or price.I can pm you his numbers if you want.

heddrik

Well Known Member
I thought I had the other side pic, I will upload it later. Oldskydog may know about this , transmission guys call it an M330 I believe. Please correct me if I am wrong. It's cast iron , looks pretty beefy.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes it is.From what I've read,the input shaft may or may not have a "ring" on.This.like Muncie 4 speed can be used to identify the low-2nd gear ratio. In you case,if the trans has no ring you have a 3.00 low gear.the one with the ring will be more like 2.56.

heddrik

Well Known Member
Will I need a 3 speed short front drive shaft or a 4 speed length for this transmission? I know where a 3 speed is in a junkyard, so...
No ring on input shaft to my knowledge. Where is it located if on shaft? There is slight undercut at beginning and end of splines but no snap type ring. I will try and load other pics soon. Thank you Don.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It's just a groove.If one was there you'd see it.It make sense that there's no groove given that's a 6 cyl.unit and they usually had lower gear ratios.I can't help on the frt.drive shaft length without knowing the length of the transmission.

Last edited:

heddrik

Well Known Member
I have length written down somewhere. Why did they put a beefy transmission like this in a 6 cylinder? I was hoping it could take street driving with a 409. Thanks for your information and help, as always.

heddrik

Well Known Member
So, Mr. Don, do I need a 3 speed length front drive shaft or a 4 speed length please sir? How long are 4 speed transmissions?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Ya got me,but somebody here will have the trans measurements for the factory transmissions.I wouldn't worry about the shaft myself,just have one made.

heddrik

Well Known Member
This is a Muncie, if LA says a 4 speed Muncie is the same length I'm inferring that a 4 speed length will fit. Guess I'll find out if I ever get a car to put them in. Paul has the lengths in a post here somewhere, I saved it somewhere .