3 spd on the column and a 409

noob here. family member has a 62 wagon with a 235 and a 3 on the tree. looking to buy it. what if i put a 409 in it with the same 3 spd. been window shopping for 409 engine parts. nobody's making an iron 409 block? are repro brackets available? If i were to start from scratch what vendors sell the parts to put a 409 in a 62

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob Walla makes some iron replacement blocks,primarily for racing applications.It uses mostly big block internals.If you put that 3 seed trans behind even a mild 409 and the car gets anything resembling traction,that trans will turn into powder internally,hell they won't even hold up behind a mild small block.Show Cars will have the brackets that you'll need for the conversion.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There is a local guy that finished his restoration on a 63' Wagon with a factory 340hp 409 and 3 speed on the column. Such a cool build with all of the paper work from the factory to display. Anything with more power than that would blow that 3 speed up. Not so sure the 340hp wouldn't do the same soon if he ever got on it.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Reminds me of a friend of mine. Had a '55 Chevy 235-6, 3-Speed on the column, all in stock condition right down to the Hub Caps. He dropped in a 427, but still kept the rest of the car the exact same way. Couldn't tell a bit of difference till he opened the hood, lol. I believe the Front Springs even held it up pretty good.

heddrik

Well Known Member
I found a Muncie heavy duty 3 speed after looking for a year, they were made about 1966 for big block and 4 wheel drives until about 1978 or so. It's pretty stout compared to a Saginaw and I plan on using it just because 3 on the tree is different. It was in great shape , replaced front and rear bearings and seals and it's ready to go. Just need a car and finish my engine, LOL.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I found a Muncie heavy duty 3 speed after looking for a year, they were made about 1966 for big block and 4 wheel drives until about 1978 or so. It's pretty stout compared to a Saginaw and I plan on using it just because 3 on the tree is different. It was in great shape , replaced front and rear bearings and seals and it's ready to go. Just need a car and finish my engine, LOL.
For reference, can you post any pictures or casting numbers from that heavy duty 3 speed? I try and make sure that people who search threads later for information can find helpful tips like you mention. Thanks!

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I had one of the 3 speeds you mention was in a 77 K 10 4x4 but tail housing and shaft would need to be changed, it was a pretty stout 3 speed but never shifted that great :dunno

heddrik

Well Known Member
I wasn't aware of tail housing and shaft changes. What do I need to do? Is the length different than normal 3 or 4 speed? Input shaft different? Any information would be much appreciated, I'm still a long way from installing the transmission.

heddrik

Well Known Member
Well that happens to be the case here I think. I will measure length next time I am at my storage. What else to look for? Thank you Don.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
In a 4wd unit the transfer case bolts to the transmission.If your trans has a tail shaft housing and a seal for the drive shafts front yoke to slide into it's 2wd.If it has an open faced "adapter' bolted to the rear to the main case it's 4wd.Post a picture of the trans in question please.

heddrik

Well Known Member
OK, as soon as I can. It has ID threads in the front where it bolts to engine, but also has tail shaft housing and seal at back. I was told trucks used this, all I had to do was drill front threads for bolting to engine. Thank you Don.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It's a 6cyl.2wd trans. no need to change anything on the back[well a new seal and bushing wouldn't hurt] of that trans.Yes drill out those threads on the ears.