31 Chevy 3w coupe project

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Very nice work.....:clap Betcha can't wait to hear it running !! Isn't it great when a plan comes together after all this time??:think

:crazy:cheers

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
First I thought I'd have it on the street by last fall and then I thought I'd have her on the street by this spring and then I thought maybe by this summer......:laugh :bang and now I hope to have it on the street by this fall. :pray I really want to hear it run soooo bad! Yes it's great when a plan comes together although not always so smoothly. This is my first hot rod so I've made alot of mistakes.:doh

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
BEEN THERE....DONE THAT !!!That '57 on the left is now sporting a '64 truck 348 w/TH350 and going on the street. Soon I hope. It's been over 10 years so far and I still don't have the hood prepped.:dunno Out with the old and in with the new.:deal

:crazy:cheers

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
"and now I hope to have it on the street by this fall" Hey Wally, you may have to pick up the pace a bit if those are recent pics. Leo

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yeah, I know.. :doh It seems I can't judge how long something takes. I want it to move faster but it don't always work that way. If I do have it on the street by this fall it won't be painted.

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Coming along great !!!!! Get me all fired up about mine getting to that stage.....thanks for bringing us along for the build ride !!!

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Wally, did you get this car all finished?

I had it running and driving last fall. (2013) I worked out a few bugs and tore it all back down again for paint.
It's at the body shop right now. I brought it in Feb. 1st and I've been there as much as possible to help with the
sanding and grinding. We took it back down to bare metal after we found a few cracks in a few welds. It's going
to be gloss black so it has to be as close to perfect as possible. The bottom half of the car is in primer right now
so it's coming along. Should be back on the road this summer. I'll try and post some pictures tonight.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice, will be a cool car when finished in black.

Dad had a 31 4 door, stock with dual sidemounts about 1975. I remember they had welding problems- wood inside the metal body plus the original fender metal was thick and kind of flakey, like a pie crust.

That motor looks great for sure.

Don

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:scratchHow do you get away with running it with no mufflers?:crazyThis thing is one of the few cars that,as it stands now in my opinion,has a great "Rat Rod look to it.I can only imagine how sweet it will be painted and finished out!:bow:beer:love:love

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
It helps to live in a really small town in Iowa!:D As long as I don't raise too much hell I should be ok...:pray

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
:scratchHow do you get away with running it with no mufflers?:crazyThis thing is one of the few cars that,as it stands now in my opinion,has a great "Rat Rod look to it.I can only imagine how sweet it will be painted and finished out!:bow:beer:love:love

Hi Don,
I have put a few of these style headers on 30s cars for friends and made up perforated tube baffles just to get them legal
the perf tube and design that i use definately hurts performance but gets us below the 95db at 2500 rpm that we need to be legal
still smoke the wheels with a 262 Small chevy even with the baffles in

Steve