327 Stroker Motor

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I remember the "331" 327s in drag class cars hauled butt and were nice high revvers. Not quite as high as the 302 Z28 motors or the 292 =283s that were the spec motor for a lot of circle track classes in the 70s.

I bought my machinist's dyno mule 383 for my 79 Camaro when I autocrossed it. 041 heads and a big duration low lift Sealed Power/Speed Pro cam. Made 365 HP on a stingy dyno. He built lots of 383s with the old HFT Comp 280 cam.

Camaro now has a 500" Pontiac motor in it:) Getting closer to it's maiden track voyage.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I built one for a vortec 4x4 truck.
Had to do some work to get a handle on the idle.
It ran great but I had no prier driving, in the truck with the stock engine.
I understand that the torque can increase more than 90# easy.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I have one in the plans for my 97 Vortec truck. Not sure if I just get the GM crate motoe HT383E or the shortblock and add the Fast Burn vortec heads I picked up. The 220 HP Vortec 350 has always had a little struggle pulling the car trailer up hills.

I took the Camaro to a test and tune one might with my Buick GS buddy and with roadrace suspension and 3.73 gears clicked off mid 12s with that 383.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you're looking for power,since you have the fast burn heads,just get the short block.The short block could use a better piston though[dish piston/no quench].220 horse 350?? The 97 350 was rated at 245,the 305 was rated at 230.The 98-later 350 engines got back cut valves,picked up 10 hp to 255 net.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
For some reason I thought it was 220 HP anyway not much grunt pulling a 4000lb car on a trailer if we get any hills luckily mainly flat here around Houston. It's my mainly daily driver as the dog has more room in the front passenger foot well than the 2015 6.2 gas truck that barely ONE bag of groceries fits in.

The pistons on the GM 383 crates could be better and no where can I find deck height them come in at. A ZZ3/4 or Hot Cam and the Fast burns were my first thought but the extra HP of that combo vs just the crate long block probably not a lot and already has lifters & spider, pushrods. rockers and a new distributor. Wish there was a better intake with the injectors and regulator on the outside, There is a marine intake but needs some mods to work and costs $1K!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
They don't list that spec.,but typically in the .025-.035 down range.Skip White sells a Weisco piston that has the pin height lengthened about .015 to help with this,and the piston isn't dished,but is a reversed dome to maintain quench and get the compression down where you'd want for 87 octane and towing[9.0-.9 .5-1].

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Head gaskets yes -intakes -heck no those POS factory ones! t least they leaked to the outside vs milkshaking the motor on the inside.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
When we were handling fleets of these engines,we found that somewhere between 80 and 140,000 miles you would be replacing the intake gaskets.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I know they use them on lots of crate motors ferom GM now. I got a "deal" on them and knew they have the Vortec port and bolt pattern if I want to use them on the truck. Looked at the Skip White stuff and looks pretty good.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,they finally quit making the aluminum Corvette head that they used for so many years.I've often wondered why they don't make a ZZ type budget crate motor with the ZZ4 short block and cam,and use the Vortec heads with updated springs.It would make around 35 more horse power than the ZZ-3-4'S 355 hp rating.What do you think about using the 383 engine,and putting the zz4 cam and springs in it? Since it's for a truck,the torque would be outstanding.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Yep that was what I was kind of looking at. That is about the specs of some of the stock Pontiac cams back in the day. I think the Hot cam might be a little too much.