327 Stroker Motor

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Why not just scrounge up an 87 or later block[one piece rear seal] and build it using one of Skip Whites stroker kits,then add your heads and a zz4 cam in it? CC those heads.If I remember right,the had an odd ball chamber size of around 65-66 cc.s.I do know that's when the 2.00 intake,1.55 exhaust valves showed up.They were reportedly good heads,and the valve springs will work with either the zz4 or the Hot cams.I agree the the Hot cam is a little much for a truck that get used for towing.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi Don. Just left you a pm. Your mailbox is full and I couldn't get through. Thanks, Carmine.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
That is what I was originally planning Don but tempted to get lazy and just throw a crate GM in it, they have some warranty-not sure how hard it is to collect if there is an issue.I tested the springs on them and they are a little too low seat pressure for me about 90 and the older non beehive. I picked up some Howards conncial that will be a little better especially if I go a little bigger cam.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It's never a bad idea to replace old valve springs.I find it funny that the cam people tell you that you need a lot more spring pressure than the factory uses on their hr cams.The heads on your truck now have the same seat pressure for a hyd.roller,around 90lbs,as the flat tappet springs in my 88 tbi engine.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi Don. Just left you a pm. Your mailbox is full and I couldn't get through. Thanks, Carmine.
Carmine, if you want to talk to the man who built my 409 and is building my 62 327 now call him @ 206-428-8310. his name is Dino Sanders. He is quite the builder and works with a well
know machine shop here in North Seattle, Action Machine Shop, Shoreline Wa.
Just tell Dino that Stan sent you. He's quite the character, has built everything, slow to fast, and knows his stuff, worked with Jack Gibbs to find right setup for my 409- converting to roller rockers and cam. good luck.... Oh... I've also got a friend at has a 57 Black Widow for sale,
70,000, but its a dazzler, fuel injected...100_3662.jpeg

100_3663.jpeg

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
I am building a 62 327 stroker. Using a forged 350 crank with the mains turned down to small journal. 350 pistons and rods. I plan on using the reproduction aluminum camel hump heads painted orange. 340 horse corvette intake and carb. L79 or similar camshaft. I want the motor to look 100% stock. Going to put it in a 1963 nova SS with a 4 speed. Oh did I mention the block is a first gen nova block?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, if you want to talk to the man who built my 409 and is building my 62 327 now call him @ 206-428-8310. his name is Dino Sanders. He is quite the builder and works with a well
know machine shop here in North Seattle, Action Machine Shop, Shoreline Wa.
Just tell Dino that Stan sent you. He's quite the character, has built everything, slow to fast, and knows his stuff, worked with Jack Gibbs to find right setup for my 409- converting to roller rockers and cam. good luck.... Oh... I've also got a friend at has a 57 Black Widow for sale,
70,000, but its a dazzler, fuel injected...View attachment 104067

View attachment 104068
OK. Thanks for that info, Carmine.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
interesting read and comments here, I've spent so much time on my 409 build, I totally forgot I have my 64, small journal, 327/250 hsp, with power pack heads.

Now I have had the entire block and heads, crank all done at my machine shop, just sitting on the stand (forgotten) with all new parts to reassemble it, gaskets etc.

just needs assembled, might play with it this summer. I liked my 327's growing up, such a easy engine to maintain, you could throw them in the mud and they would still run hard.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd put flat top pistons,Vortec heads,an Edelbrock EPS intake,hyd.roller cam in the 224 in.,230 ex.at .050 range and grin like a ''jack ass eating saw briars.'' The main reason that you don't see stroker kits for the 327 is that the majority of them[62-67] had small journal cranks and rods.Only the last two years[68-69] used large journal cranks and rods and the commonly available kits will work there.

Last edited:

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I finally found a pic of "JOINT VENTURE " Old drag motor . It has been sitting since 1989 the last time has been run .I still nave the long block, no heads or tunnel ram, The block is a 1967 327.I still have it in my garage 33 years later .If interested send me a PM Cant ship must pickup if interested BEST OFFER TAKES IT HOME
!!

Attachments

• 07-16-2010 03_11_31pm_00.jpg
    07-16-2010 03_11_31pm_00.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 17

63impaloligist

Well Known Member
Years ago Pat Musi was looking for a 4660 327 large journal for a customer. I sold him my block and he built a 383 out of it. Customer told people that it was a 327. Pat also told me to bring him one of those small journal 327s and he'd build it into a stroker engine too. He has one of my 64 870 blocks currently. That block destroyed the interior of the rental car SUV when I got t-boned in Mooresville before I got to the shop to pick up the 454.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Years ago Pat Musi was looking for a 4660 327 large journal for a customer. I sold him my block and he built a 383 out of it. Customer told people that it was a 327. Pat also told me to bring him one of those small journal 327s and he'd build it into a stroker engine too. He has one of my 64 870 blocks currently. That block destroyed the interior of the rental car SUV when I got t-boned in Mooresville before I got to the shop to pick up the 454.
So what was his plans for the small journal 327? I have one, so I am curious?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Custom crank would be the only differance. Good small journal rods[aftermarket] are easily found.

Reactions: 327

63impaloligist

Well Known Member
So what was his plans for the small journal 327? I have one, so I am curious?
This is one of 11 that are in the collection. Nothing less than 383. But definitely larger. ARP bolts or studs a must. Depends on what he thinks. I find no need for 4 bolt main conversation. Small journal caps are thicker than the rest of the SBC engines. That being said I trust his knowledge and will take his advice. As Don Jacks said good aftermarket rods in 2 inch or less size.

427John

Well Known Member
Custom crank would be the only differance. Good small journal rods[aftermarket] are easily found.
Don why would the crank need to be custom?Can't the 400 crank mains be turned down to SJ size?You could run the 2.1 journal rods if you wanted or offset grind for more stroke at the 2.0 rod journal size couldn't you?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
One could take a steel 3.75 350 journal sized crank and cut kit down to the small journal crank and leave the rods for the rod journal alone .You'd have a better selection of rods that way. The factory 400 crank is cast and the process of turning it down to the large journal 350 does weaken it some.No way would I cut the extra .100 or so to get in a small journal block and expect it to live under anything that resembles horse power.Eagle for sure,and likely most reasonably priced crank company's make a steel,small joural,3.75 stroke crank leaving buying and modifying an existing part or custom ,Either way this exersize isn't going to be cheap.

63impaloligist

Well Known Member
Don why would the crank need to be custom?Can't the 400 crank mains be turned down to SJ size?You could run the 2.1 journal rods if you wanted or offset grind for more stroke at the 2.0 rod journal size couldn't you?
You're forgetting the angle of the oiling holes in the crank mains. The more you grind the farther off-center they'll be. .350 removal of metal for a 400 crank in the small journal block. Where as .150 for a crank with 350 mains. Ideally you'd want it to be centered. This is what Pat Musi's guy told me. He said that the best thing to do is order a custom crankshaft for the small journal mains and rods, or Honda 1.88 rod journals. The crank prices are near the same for either 350 or 400 mains, but the custom crankshaft is very expensive.

Attachments

• PXL_20220225_004930593.jpg
    PXL_20220225_004930593.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1