333 intake turbulance

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
At a swap yesterday, I was talking to a guy trying to sell numerous sets of 333 truck heads. He began to show my why the 333 head produces more low end torque than other heads. There are a number of round angled castings in the floor of the intake runners and if you feel them, they are angled up at the edge to cause turbulance and keep the gas from puddling at low speeds. I have no other heads to compare this to, but they are indeed on my 333 heads also. Are they on any or all W heads? About the size of a pencil eraser. If you have heads handy, please take a look, hard to see but you can feel them. Kind of interesting talking to guys at swaps with an agenda to sell something. I would like to know if they are only on the 333 head. THANKS

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Feeling the bumps...

Well I'll be! Having read your post, I just had to check this out for myself,

My 333s had these bumps, but they were more like "divits" in the casting, like someone pressed the eraser end of the pencil in there. Both 333 heads had them, and they seemed to be more prevalent on the end intake runners.

Checked a set of 817s (340 horse heads from 1963) and the same deal!

Then I dismantled the top of the mocked up QB block I have and checked the 690 heads (one from 1961 the other from 1962) and they DID NOT have these indentations/bumps.

I also have a set of 1958 heads, and since this set is quite "crusty", it was difficult to determine whether they were there or not.

Very interesting. I wonder what the story is here?

Best,
TomK