340hp 409 intake

427John

Well Known Member
Was in Seattle this weekend visiting daughter and grandkids and ran up to Monroe for the swapmeet found a 3830831 4 bbl for 50 bux so picked it up for a backup to the tripower. What does this intake use for a gasket or spacer to put an AFB on it and what adapter would I need to run a holley if I went that route?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
John,you can bolt any typical AFB,or Holley carb on without adapters,but I would suggest plugging those holes in the carb mounting surface.You don't need that heat there especially with an aluminum carb.Great find,by the way!:appl

427John

Well Known Member
The holes were what I was worried about,the tapping and plugging sounds like a plan to me.What did they have originally 1 of those thick gaskets with a channel in it?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Heck,I'd just tap them for a couple of small pipe plugs[small block threaded oil galley plugs look about right] and thread them to just below the mounting surface.
That's a much better way to block the holes. I can't even remember how I found out that the 30-30 brass fit the holes, but they fit pretty well. :dunno

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The holes were what I was worried about,the tapping and plugging sounds like a plan to me.What did they have originally 1 of those thick gaskets with a channel in it?
They had a channel in both the gasket and the base of the 4gc carb which had a cast iron base.