348 168 tooth manual starter- which one??

neilswheels

Well Known Member
It’s time for a starter,not to start the car, but make sure my header doesn’t hit it. I want a stick looking starter.searched around and it looks like a staggered hole 168 tooth starter will do it, but what is it from? As I’m in the UK, I can’t swap it if it’s wrong as it’s a special order part, which means I won’t becable to return it for the correct one, so ideally I need a part number or at least a model/ year to give my parts supplier. He’s been told by his supplier that all Chevy manual starters bolted to the bell housing, so his supplier won’t commit to supplying a starter based on my block mount manual requirement. My block is drilled and tapped for straight and staggered mount.
Thanks

Attachments

• EAD0C247-FFA6-4C57-BF1E-43859B23F5C8.jpeg
    EAD0C247-FFA6-4C57-BF1E-43859B23F5C8.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 12

Monk

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just an FYI on DB........you might consider calling them direct about your application
I just ordered another one of there starters for my '55/409......my email inquires were a tad lacking

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Thanks Monk, worth knowing. I'm not sure they're going to want to help, as ultimately i wont be buying from them..

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I have two chevy mini starters (for the o9er), and the bolt holes don't seem to line up with the block, forcing me to file or elongate one bolt hole on the starter. What am I missing? :rub

Monk

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm pretty sure on my starter that one bolt is longer that the other............if that helps

Clint

Well Known Member
I use a starter from mid 70s pickup with 168 tooth standard flywheel. Staggered bolts

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the link to the correct DB electrical link for the vertically bolting starter. I have 4 off then on my cars. 2 small blocks (283 and 327 ) and 2 on my 409's
No problems with any of them bolted vertically on all 4 engine blocks. Just add a few washers(so the bolts do not bottom out ) to the supplied veritical bolts and they bolt right up to the engine blocks. Over 10 years on 2 of the cars with this starter
I have at least 2 friends with the same DB starters no fit problems on a 64 327 and one 409 motor.
Do not use the model car to find this starter...this one works.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/chevy-305-350-454-mini-racing-pmgr-starter-ht-sdr0031-l.html

Paul

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Thanks all.
Paul. DB got back to me, and that is the starter they recomended.

Grub, I might be able to get that one over here, not sure that i can get the one from DB in the U.K. tho I would prefer a 'OEM' style motor.. who'd have thought it would be this 'easy' to buy a starter motor..

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I am pretty sure most of the starters are not made in the US any more, at $ 50.00 ( and they have been around this price for donkey's years) they are from China, Mexico or Brazil. It's like the Procomp stuff from Aus, it is all Chinese.
Any way I digress, to get the OEM look of the larger type starter you may need something like this http://www.jegs.com/i/Tuff-Stuff/908/3510B/10002/-1

Cheers
Grub,

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The $50 starters are induction wound and have a one tooth gear reduction making them half the size and twice as powerful. I used to drive around with a new spare in the trunk but never used it. They've been made for so long that they are very reliable now days. Stagger bolt pattern for the 168 tooth flywheel.

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Thanks all. Went to our ‘big’ and only hot rod swap meet today, and found this. Looks same as DB starter apart from a little machining on the mount face, but nothing a washer won’t sort out, which seems to be the norm. New and boxed, £80.00 which I was happy with. Thanks again everyone, another piece of the puzzle found,oh, and made in China

Attachments

• E36F0D9F-CAB2-41A9-BD56-A7957D6F7174.jpeg
    E36F0D9F-CAB2-41A9-BD56-A7957D6F7174.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 23

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That's great Neil, make sure you use the correct style stepped bolts, they need to be a snug fit through the housing, any movement will cause meshing problems. with the spacers, try to use the correct style shims, they are 1 piece and span both bolt holes, they are easily made if you don't have any.

neilswheels

Well Known Member
It came with two knurled bolts
Thanks for the heads up on the spacer, something else I didn’t know - everyday’s a school day...