348-409 combo motor

I have recently aqiured a 409 car block...with 348 truck heads. The motor came out of a ton&1/2 winch truck...still has air compressor...complete motor. I was wanting to put 409 heads on it or maybe re-do the 348's. I don't know ANYTHING about these motors....they are awesome! I am use to rebuilding pontiac and small/big block chevs. Can the 348's be ported and bigger valves put in to match a 409 head? Or are they too differant? I REALLY need some help with this project and there ain't many books I can read. Talking to my shop foreman ain't a help either cause he can't remember very much bout those motors. HEEEELP!!!:bow

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
mrgoodwrench, All your questions can be answered by using the search feature. You will find hours and hours of reading information. Good luck.....

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
what part

mrgoodwrench, what part of Texas do you live?

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

numbers

Well, for starters the numbers on the block are as follows....casting # 3788068, date code A2662....the heads casting # 3819333, date code 263. And I am from Carthage....northeast texas. I have only taken off one valve cover but I am pretty sure the other head is of the same number....or whomever built it was an idiot. Supposedly it ran before it was pulled. It has a 4 barrel carb. The inside of the valley looks real good and so did the oil. Hyd. lifters.

search option not helping :bang

more info

after further looking at my motor(I have so many), I have found it DOES NOT have any suffix code stamped in it, NO "x" on the block(which it shouldn't because of it's casting date), the intake casting # is 3844472, and it has a rochester 4-Jet squarebore carb, and R45 plugs. The cylinder wall also is quite odd.....it doesn't come all the way up the block......:dunno

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That's right

333 is a 409 truck head. Not too bad for a street hot rod. Combustion chamber is inside the cylinder, hence the odd, not to the top cylinder. That combo can be built into a nice street rod engine.

hmm...

now if I can find someone close to me to do the machine work it'll be good.....I have read to bore it out .030 and add a 454 crank...I still don't understand the cylinder thing though....thats an awfull big combustion chamber. I don't know ANYTHING about these motors except the fact you can make AWESOME power from them and no one around me has one, kinda like my 331 Hemi...or my 500 Cad....or my 394 Olds...or alot of stuff for that matter...ha ha...is the wall SUPPOSED to be like that on ALL 348-409's? Did they use pop-ups to create the 425 hp if so?