348-409 Main studs question

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep, Eddie. The bbc studs work great , however, I use the studs for 392 Chrysler. They are a little shorter and don't stick up so high. I thought I had the ARP numbers saved but can't find right now. But to be clear, the bbc studs work great. The chrysler studs are just a little "neater". You could probably research on ARP's site and find the exact difference if you are interested.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
mymotor001.jpg

eddie jett

Well Known Member
Yep, Eddie. The bbc studs work great , however, I use the studs for 392 Chrysler. They are a little shorter and don't stick up so high. I thought I had the ARP numbers saved but can't find right now. But to be clear, the bbc studs work great. The chrysler studs are just a little "neater". You could probably research on ARP's site and find the exact difference if you are interested.

Thanks Ronnie would you happen to know if the standard BBC head studs would work on the edelbrock heads? I bought the edelbrock head bolt kit but thought the studs would be a little better, thanks

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes, the ARP head studs will work. They also stick up more than they need to so you may have to whittle on the valve covers a little but not a big deal. Installing the heads with studs require some additional steps. Not as easy as one would expect, but not difficult. When you get close let me know and I can help with some suggestions. And , back to the main studs, I'm sure you are aware that when changing fasteners that the block will have to be align honed. A good idea, anyway.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6

Like Ronnie said the BBC do stick up a bit more
Drags 048 (Small).jpg

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The 392 Hemi studs are a good tip Ronnie. :deal
Like everyone says the BBC studs work fine but there just a bit longer than they need to be.

Dewman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The ARP Part# for a 2-bolt main 392 Chrysler Hemi is 145-5404

The ARP Part# for a 2-bolt main BBC is 135-5402

The ARP Part# for a 2-bolt main BBC with windage tray is 235-5502

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
I have Pro Gram 4-bolt caps like those in BSL409's picture. Which stud is better: the BBC or Chrysler Hemi? The Pro-Gram caps are about 1/4 inch taller than a standard Main Cap.