348-409 NATIONAL CONVENTION NO. 2

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Phil,
Congrats this looks like it will be one wicked convention and you have everyone on board. Regretfully this date does not suit my travel plans which will be around June/July period, so there will be two kiwi's less but if Steve can make it then he will fly the flag for all of us I'm sure.
Maybe somewhere on our travels we will be able to catch up anyway.

All the best, from a sad kiwi,
Gav.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Sorry Gav.........no matter what date is picked...there will be some who can't attend. Could you consider 2 trips to the Good Ole USA next summer!!??????!!! Maybe get a part time job between July and Sep. to pass the time????? Shoot............apply for our welfare to get you some spending cash!!!!

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Phil, this sounds great. I want to thank Jim and the others who got this ball rolling. Great Bend is a great choice for all the reasons Phil gave us. I have marked my calendar so I can attend. It's only 1741 miles which I will break down in 3 or 4 days of travel (I don't want to be exhausted when I get there). I will talk to Steve Gregory about making the trek too.

Paul

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Maybe we can get a convoy going for the Westcoast group ? Link up in Boise, SLC or Denver and have a BIG line up of 409's headed to the big event ???

Bill

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
1,036 for me wouldn't miss it though. I've been spoiled with only being 50 miles from Thompson.

Travis Horton

Well Known Member
I don't know...that's an awful long drive from Pittsburg. Especially with two cars. Ah, what the heck. I think we'll come!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The difference between you guys and a jet engine is that at least the jet engine quits whining when it's turned off.:laugh

I'm leaving next weekend for little sunday drive of 2610 miles one way delivering helicopter parts to Elizabeth City, NC on my way to a reunion in DC....all on my nickel.
For this event next year, it's a measley 1200 miles one way.....a walk in the park.:yawn

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Well Cecil................I have held back some info on the 2014 Convention from you but maybe now would be a good time to tell you. Did you Google Earth the drag strip at Great Bend? If you did, you would have noticed on the East side is the ....wait for it now......Great Bend Municipal Airport!!!! That's right...........hop in the Navion and fly to the event!!!!!!!!!!! I will guarantee you a ride into town every evening to get to your motel room. I'll also pay you a bonus if you can taxi the Navion up to the starting line at the drag strip so I can get a picture of you "staged" and ready to race!!!!!
Secondly..................since this was an old Army air base..........when it was closed down.......rumor has it.......that large pits were dug south of the runways and..................on no!!!................either whole B29s or parts and pieces........were pushed or bulldozed into the pits and covered up!!!!!!:eek:eek:eek So bring your metal detector or sonar, or whatever you use..........and go on a treasure hunt!!!! We heard that rumor when we were down checking out everything!!!
I knew you would be here anyway but thought this would seal the deal for you!!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Great, another option.:clap
But,........if I fly, I can't bring all my junk fine parts to unload on unsuspecting sell to fellow W enthusiasts at the swap meet.
There will be a swap meet.......right?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Cecil, what all junk are you looking to unload? Maybe you could drop some of it off when you drive down to NC. I'm only a tick away compared to that drive. :D

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I saw this last week but I've been tied up all weekend with my youngest daughter's wedding. Well that's over, now I can think about important things!! Just kidding, sort of. Central Kansas Will be just under 600 miles away, no big forseeable big expenses coming up, see a great bunch of people and a bunch of great cars. Hummm, He'll yes, I'm in!!!! Looking forward to this, and Phil, if I can assist you in any way, let me know! SEE YEA ALL IN KANSAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
This is going to be soooooooooo much fun !!! I see another Old Fools race in the works here ? Wonder if they have good hot dogs ?:dunno

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
This is going to be soooooooooo much fun !!! I see another Old Fools race in the works here ? Wonder if they have good hot dogs ?:dunno

They have a GREAT refreshment stand Bill! You'll have to try their specialty, "Bull Chips"!

I have a bunch of pictures of the track & facilities, I'll get some of them together and post them.