348/409 OEM Valve Cover Configurations

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is there a list as to how many different configuration that 348/409 valve covers came in other than
58 348 did not have the cut outs for the gasket 59 and up had the cut outs
The 3x2 and 2x4 wire loom where shorter
Different placement of the wire looms
I have seen numerous different designs just curious
Thanks

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Somewhere on my old shop computer, I have pictures of every 348 * 409 valve cover including Z-11. Haven't fired it up in the last 3 years.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I Have 8 different ones on my wall at home in the shed
Some have been chromed when they should be orange or grey but they are all different

Ask Dr Phil

Steve
Forgot to Add that i dont have a Z11 rocker cover but am hoping that Phil will bring me a Christmas Present next year:love:cloud
Also dont have any Truck covers, not sure if they would have changed between 348 and 409 as there was only single 4 barrel options i think for intake? no 2x4 and no 3x2

Steve

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks to Taylor and Russell Racing of the image. The 2018 Showcars cat. still does have a diagram that shows certain covers by application (mostly car) but it is not complete as to all the covers that were produced for the 348/409 applications in all configurations

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
To add to the confusion I picked up a 1965 Chevrolet parts book to cover 1958 -1965 it was supposed to have trucks also but doesn't list specifically 348 or 409 in any trucks
I will attach a copy of the page for all to review
Interesting enough the 62 are left and right not like the earlier 348 which were left or right
Like to buy a set for the cost shown maybe truck load
Also anyone know the color code for the 62 QB valve covers? Have some I want to get powder coated

Attachments

• 100_2216.JPG
    100_2216.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_2217.JPG
    100_2217.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
To add to the confusion I picked up a 1965 Chevrolet parts book to cover 1958 -1965 it was supposed to have trucks also but doesn't list specifically 348 or 409 in any trucks
I will attach a copy of the page for all to review
Interesting enough the 62 are left and right not like the earlier 348 which were left or right
Like to buy a set for the cost shown maybe truck load
Also anyone know the color code for the 62 QB valve covers? Have some I want to get powder coated
I dont see how they can be anything but left or right as if you put a left cover on the right head the lead supports will be at the front of the engine:wacko:rub:read

Steve

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure but it may appears that the early 348 covers may have had only the one wire loom mounted in the center along the intake like a truck cover which would have made them left or right that would explain the parts book showing one number but it also shows that number is for 58-61 348/409 not noting truck ??
Thanks to Dick MacKenzie for that link from back in 2006 great over view of of the covers