348/409 parts shuffle

hi guys.
have mercy on an old ford guy, and help me switch. Im thinking of using a W series eng. on my current project to have something different under the hood. its a 55 stude coupe. i have heard that the rat motor has some parts, {crank,rods,etc} that can be used to bump the cubes of the W engine. also need info on head, intake and truck parts swapping on this eng. any and all swapping info will be greatly appreciated,

TKS
DAN :help

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome You Old F!!D Guy

Dan, Welcome to the site :D I'm still a old F!!D Guy,I've been working in F!!D Dealerships for over 30 years :D I own both products,and the guys seem to still accept me :dunno
My Mother owned a 55 Stude Coupe,when I was 7 years old,I still remember the car,that would be a awesome car to put W-Motor in :clap
Yes you can bump cubes with Big Block parts. There's alot of info on this subject,click on the Search on this site and type in (Stroker Moters) and you will find lots of info :)

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Dan,

Welcome to the asylum. :hug

Lots of good info here and as you can see by my signature they tolerate us F@#* guys here.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Welcome

Hi Dan

Welcome ......you have taken a first step in catching the dreaded
'W' fever........... :rolleyes: .......there is no cure........ :bang
...there are lotsa guys here that know a lot about BB stuff in a 'W' :love

The idea of a 'W' in a Stude sounds great........ :cool:

And about that F..D thing.......some of us are still in the closet....... :?

DQ....you'll find out about him....... :eek: .... has a F F F Falcon..... :beerbang

and me .. ;) well I am looking for a 64 Galaxie 427 someday...there I'm out... :doh

BJ :cheers

bored to death.

thanks from the old f--d guy on stroker info. 1 more question. how far can you safely bore a truck 409. are there differences from the car eng regarding max bore.
also how about deck height differences?? any other spec differences.
tks
DAN :?

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dan, Welcome aboard. As far as the truck 09s and passenger 09s are concerned. The only difference is a large notch machined in the top of the cylinders to reduce compression in the truck blocks. Deck height and cylinder wall thickness are the same between the two. You can bore them .060" over without any problems. Most all of them will go .125" over but you might want to have the block sonic checked before going that much. Bungy

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Dan Bungy

it's not a good idea to bore any 409 .125 unless you want to really make a boat anchor out of it. i've got a 422 cast block i bought off of an old drag race guy thats been bored .125 care to guess how many cyl. wall cracks this thing has?

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
sleeves

gearhead409 said:
it's not a good idea to bore any 409 .125 unless you want to really make a boat anchor out of it. i've got a 422 cast block i bought off of an old drag race guy thats been bored .125 care to guess how many cyl. wall cracks this thing has?

Are sleeves not an option?

:cool:

gearhead409

Well Known Member
wrench

i have thought of sleeving it back to std. bore but it would cost more than i could get an other block for. still might do it someday.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Boring risks

Just for the record, I bored a 1964 422 truck block to .100" after checking things and I am hoping to have no problems. Haven't fired it up as yet (been kinda busy this past few months with other projects) but am slowly moving in that direction...

I have several QB blocks, each of which has some issue in the bores, and I was hoping to correct those with sleeves where needed. The cost to do 8 sleeves correctly (by a professional shop, such as Tony Schaffer's) is not cheap, about $100 to $150 a hole. I've had quotes less from local shops, but then they've never done sleeves on a "W" block, so why gamble? If you just had a hole or two, that would be different. I have some like this. Many of us have blocks with sleeves and report good reliability and perfromance (assuming it was done right).

If you look long and hard enough (and not on Ebay!) you should/might be able to get a block with closer-to-standard bores, as Gearhead409 mentions. Plus by exploring you make lots of new friends!

Good luck!

TomK

M

Mr.Jimmy

WOW...that much for sleeving a block????? :eek:

We have someone doing it for us for 30 a hole....He does many for us and were happy with him too.. He does all of our blocks for us and has less than a week turn around.