348/409 Race at Great Lakes Dragaway

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Racing at the legendary Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, Wisconsin!!!!!!!!!
All "W" powered cars are welcome!
348/409 powered race cars and driver will get to race for free!! :flag
Saturday July 25th racing will be from 2:00 pm till 10:00 pm though gates will be open earlier for entry to the pits.
Sunday July 26th racing will be from 9:00 am till 5:00 pm.
Friday July 24th, the track will be open from 5:00 pm till 10:00 pm for those who wish to come early and make some runs or get settled in. Note: Free entry for car and driver does not apply on Friday.

All 348/409 cars will be pitted together.
Officially our cars will follow after the cars of Nostalgia Super Stock Inc. make their runs. Unofficially, you will be able to make test and tune passes anytime the staging lanes are open.

The racing format is still open ended at this time and open to comment. We can pair cars up based on time to have some close racing and put on a show. The second option is to pair cars up on Saturday as stated, but have bracket style eliminations on Sunday for an overall winner. Personally, it doesn't matter to me. Also for those attending, I will need to know if you would like a sportsman tree or pro tree. I believe the pro tree is more fun.

Lastly, I need your name and car by the 16th of you are racing and want to get in for free. Zero exceptions! If I do not have your name, you will still be able to race but you will have to pay for your run card.

If you plan on attending please post and let me know so a roster can be started.

Track info: http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/index.php

Also, a big thanks to Nostalgia Super Stock Inc. for helping to make this event possible!
http://nostalgiasuperstock.com/

Roster:
Ishiftem (Home Wrecker)
Iowa409guy
Quickshift409
Fathead Racing (to spank Quickshift409)
dm62409
MRHP
jbschneeweis
de31168 (Ragamuffin)
Bryan Fugate
Ryan VanDillen (409 T-Bird)

Hanging Out:
63 dream'n
Dakota Tom (maybe?)
Models916
Mr. Olson

Last edited:

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Dan, this sounds like it will be a great event. I think the idea of a match up on Saturday and a bracket type race on Sunday would work for me. The pro tree also sounds fun. No matter what goes on I plan on being there.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Dan:fingerYou won.....:dunno...........I'm looking foreword to coming to a place of drag racing history. I'll be there on Friday for sure. Maybe I'll take the time to meet some of the guys I missed out on at Thompson and Great Bend. Are you recommending any certain motel for a meeting place? Anything I can help you with, give me a call. Hey---gonna have your car done???????:poke:poke

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will be there on Friday. I usually sleep in my trailer so I have no opinion on which hotel but I know who I can ask. The car will be done!
Oh and one more thing Dave.........
icon_butt.gif
:roll

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Long haul for me but I plan to attend. What are the camping arrangements at the track. I will be towing the car with my motorhome & will plan on arriving Friday.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have you talked to the track manager about an area for not racing display cars? I am still wanting to find out more history of my '62 Biscayne. I know its' history back to late 1964. The man who bought it at that time lived in the Chicago area and told me he had seen it racing at Union Grove in '63-64 but didn't have records of who he bought it form. If I can get away for work I would haul the 62 there and see if anyone recognizes it.:think:dunno

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Long haul for me but I plan to attend. What are the camping arrangements at the track. I will be towing the car with my motorhome & will plan on arriving Friday.
Plenty of room for your motorhome. You will be able to park it in the same place as your car and trailer. As far as I know there are no "hook ups" for power etc.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have you talked to the track manager about an area for not racing display cars? I am still wanting to find out more history of my '62 Biscayne. I know its' history back to late 1964. The man who bought it at that time lived in the Chicago area and told me he had seen it racing at Union Grove in '63-64 but didn't have records of who he bought it form. If I can get away for work I would haul the 62 there and see if anyone recognizes it.:think:dunno
That would be cool if you bring it. Did the car have a name on it? What part of the city did the guy live? I will be meeting with someone at the end of the month. I do not see a problem parking in the pits with us but I will confirm that. At the worst there would be a fee for parking in the pits above and beyond regular admission. I will get back to you.

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
I looked on their web site. Didn't see anything about hookups. Could you please check so I know how to prepare for the trip. No rush we have a few months before travel. Thanks.

Joel

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That would be cool if you bring it. Did the car have a name on it? What part of the city did the guy live? I will be meeting with someone at the end of the month. I do not see a problem parking in the pits with us but I will confirm that. At the worst there would be a fee for parking in the pits above and beyond regular admission. I will get back to you.
http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/1962-409-biscayne.6698/#post-59091 is an old thread on the car. The only lettering on the car is the 409 cu on top of the fender, the number that looks to be 388 on the side of the fender, and a couple of ovals between the gas tank door and the rear of the car. May be a Moon decal? or Mr Horsepower woodpecker?
Arden Schamber, 1945-2008, who grew up in Freeman SD went to a trade school in the Chicago area and got a degree in auto mechanics and stayed in the area a few years after that. He told me he bought the car in late 1964 early 65 from someone in northern Chicago and that he had seen it run at Union Grove before that. It had a fresh "Earl Schibe" paint job on it. The car has a decal on the lower passenger side windshield, 1967 village of Winnetka vehicle license no 3610. This would have been while he owned the car. The car was brought to Freeman around 1969 and sold to Rudy B at that time.
I had the car at Great Bend. I don't know If you were there? Lots of people looked at it but few introduced themselves.

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Was talkin to Linda and she said.........LETS DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! I started upstairs:dance and then she said I MEAN lets go to the 348/409 shootout :tantrum so, I came back downstairs........................so if I can get off work looks like we will be there, is there a specific hotel everyone is staying at.............. Looks like I win either way....:brow

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Was talkin to Linda and she said.........LETS DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! I started upstairs:dance and then she said I MEAN lets go to the 348/409 shootout :tantrum so, I came back downstairs........................so if I can get off work looks like we will be there, is there a specific hotel everyone is staying at.............. Looks like I win either way....:brow

Gosh, I hope you don't have to wait until July to take her up on the offer.......................:guitar:flag:flag