348/409 Race at Great Lakes Dragaway

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I think this is how the race went Sunday. Brian and I were first up. I think both of our street cars weigh in at 4,240# including the feather weight drivers. He dialed a 12:00 and I dialed a 11:70. He smoked me at the light with a R/T of .004 to my .106 and I could not run him down. He ran 12.07/114.02 to my 11:75/115.17 Then Lonnie took Shan out and Joel had a bye due to the Fatride blowing a fan belt(the only major breakdown of the weekend I think) Then Lonnie went up against Joel with Joel getting the red stink eye and Lonnie the win. Brian had the bye. In the finals Lonnie for the win against Brian. Good job Lonnie and Scott.
I accused Brian of being a Muslim Quadriplegic due to him lying on a rug in his trailer between runs on the ice bag and looking like a pretzel. Nice talking to several of the guys from the forum. Keith(63 Dreamin) spent both days there, Jim and Collin(Jim R), Models(not sure if I talked with him) Brian 64SS, and a couple other guys....CRS. Also Dan's Dad Bob was there keeping tabs on everyone. Also nice to see the long lost Ross(Impala Guru)AKa Brian Fugate racing again. Witness protection program must have run out..............:wtf
This was the first time out for my fresh engine with BWR heads. I thought the track was fine, no problems hooking up. My previous best ever was 11:86/115 and last weekend I eeked out and 11:64/116?Can't find the damn slip. Used to be getting into the 11's didn't happen very often. I made 7 runs last weekend and none were in the 12's. I attribute that to the BWR heads and the G-force tranny......it is SWEET. My small block Super Shifter guy Mike that was with me did the rebuild. He's been racing since 1964 I believe.
The dude that runs the NSS group stopped by and invited us for next year as Dan said above, and the track wants us back. Very accommodating I would say. Thanks to Dan for organizing the show. Nice to see the Home Wrecker back on the track again, you've put a lot of sweat and tears into that old Beater Dan, she's looking good and running great.............BTW I couldn't ask for a better bunch to hang out with.....

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
It was great meeting up with the guys that I only knew as names on our site. Was great meeting up and putting a face on Dave, Iowa 409 guy. After talking and hearing most of the guys had no trouble hooking up I'm looking for a "real" set of slicks. Also, the belt I was using was supposed to be "temporary". You all know how that goes! Belt was a cheap DuraLast from auto zone. Fine for a street engine but not so good for high rpm. Two more corrections to make. Even with the upgrades I may have not survived against the great racers at Great Lakes.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Ray...................how could you have missed Dave at Great Bend??????????? He WAS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I would personally like to thank everyone for the congrats and the great time over the week end. Scott and I really enjoyed it. The only problems we had were Scott had to do a little bar tweak (not that kind of bar Dave) and our battery took a crap Saturday afternoon. Luckily Scott remembered a NAPA store in Union Grove. They were still open at 4:30 so we were able to get a new battery. And Nuts, you get right on that investigation and let me know what you find. We need all the help that we can get!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, Thanks to all!!

Lonnie

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I didnt mention weight, I was meaning that he has to be about 6'5" which is not small,
No offence meant Dave:D

Steve

Ya know Steve, I've always been sensitive about my size since I was a little kid. I had aspirations to be a jockey, but damn it, I outgrew that by the time I was 2 years old....................:doh:crazy:crazy So I thought racing might work out better. I was talking to a friend??of mine a while back about every 100 pounds you lighten a car up that you gain a tenth of a second...........that a$$hole told me to save money and eat more lettuce............:winner:tongue