348 bare block needed ASAP!!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Guys .My engine guy just called and I need a block . He went to order the .60 over pistons and noticed that one old piston was different than the 7 others.
He measured the different piston and found that it was already at .40 over. he determined that .60 over was too much for a block that was already at .40over so he recommends that I need another block. At least he didn't order the .60 over pistons and related stuff. BASICALLY THE BLOCK IS JUNK !!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is going into my son's 61 Bel-Air Bubble Shoot me a pm if you have or know of any thing
THANX k9

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Cecil is right the only way to check the block is a sonic check. That’s what my machine shop did on my 0.60 283 block, Had block bored to 0.80 over with a good sonic check.
0.60 over is not to much on Chevy blocks after owning 60 - 1955 to 1964 chevy’s over years most with rebuild motors during my ownership.
Paul

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil is right the only way to check the block is a sonic check. That’s what my machine shop did on my 0.60 283 block, Had block bored to 0.80 over with a good sonic check.
0.60 over is not to much on Chevy blocks after owning 60 - 1955 to 1964 chevy’s over years most with rebuild motors during my ownership.
Paul
Is that because you beat the crap outta them Paul??????

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
It helped that my father was a used car dealer during the first 45 cars (switched cars every 2 to 6 months or a year at times), never had car payments until after he passed.
Yes there was lots of street and track drag racing for the first 30+ cars.
The current cars (409’s) get the tires smoked to have some fun:burnout:winner