348 crank snout

4spd

Hello,
I was changing to a three groove pulley on the crankshaft so I can install A/C along with the generator and power steering pump. I had to enlarge the whole in the center of the new pulley so it would slide over the crankshaft snout. All the pictures I've seen online show the snout does not stick out beyond the harmonic balancer like mine. Anybody have an idea whats up or what this engine might be. It has an X on the front of the block indicating it is a replacement. Maybe it sticks out for running something off the front of the engine for a boat,or truck?
Thanks for any help
Don

IMG_7825.JPG

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks to be awful small in diameter to be the end of the crank. Maybe a piece of round stock added to the crank?

4spd

The dampner looks to be 1 3/16 to 1 1/4 thick. The diameter of the end of the crank measures 1.141 . The pulleys from Showcars line up with the other pulleys. I 'll include pics of the old pulleys also and there is a part number on one of them.

Thanks Don

IMG_7846.JPGIMG_7847.JPGIMG_7848.JPGIMG_7849.JPG

4spd

I took the pulleys off and took some pictures. I have reassembled the pulleys now. Everything lines up and is working fine but I'm just curious why it is different than others. There is a picture of how I measured from the end of the snout to the timing cover. It is about
3 1/4 inches. Maybe someone has an engine in their garage they could check theirs.
Thanks for previous replys
Don

IMG_7869.JPGIMG_7870.JPGIMG_7872.JPGIMG_7879.JPG

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,exactly what is that sticking out from the center of the balancer??? That's not stock,or even high performance.Makes me wonder if the balancer is seated correcly.

4spd

I didn't pull the harmonic balancer which I know is the only way to really know what's up because I didn't want to dig myself a deeper hole. It must be one of the things you guys are suggesting or somebody put round stock in there to adapt the pulley that was on there.
I appreciate your help.
Thanks Don

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Damper will be difficult to remove with that thing there.
Particularly if it has any kind shoulder on it and has to come out with the balancer.
Hopefully you're able to use a puller and use this snout thing to pry against.
I wonder if you could drill a 3/8th or so hole through the side and see if it can spin independent of the engine?