348 engine 409 intake-MDS dist misfit question

tenxal

Well Known Member
As an aside...unless it's a restoration, it's nuts not to modify the frame under the pan to facilitate pan removal. The top section (under the oil pan) can be notched while leaving the bottom of the frame untouched. Then fabricate a 'C' shaped piece and weld it in. You'll gain enough room to be able to remove the pan while it still looks unaltered from the bottom.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
As an aside...unless it's a restoration, it's nuts not to modify the frame under the pan to facilitate pan removal. The top section (under the oil pan) can be notched while leaving the bottom of the frame untouched. Then fabricate a 'C' shaped piece and weld it in. You'll gain enough room to be able to remove the pan while it still looks unaltered from the bottom.
Now if you'd only posted that about 10 years ago....

wristpin

Well Known Member
If you are interested in that modification we can sure do it. I can weld.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I thought that idea was also done by the Bill Jenkins and Dick Landry racing guys
Robert

tenxal

Well Known Member
Now if you'd only posted that about 10 years ago....

I did my first one in 1980 for a '62 Biscayne. ;) At that time, it was pretty commonly done by Modified and Super Stock racers to fit the large box style oil pans. My Camaro Super Stocker had one with the steering center section running through the pan by way of a tube. 15 minutes to have the pan off.... :)

Last edited:

wristpin

Well Known Member
I did my first one in 1980 for a '62 Biscayne. ;) At that time, it was pretty commonly done by Modified and Super Stock racers to fit the large box style oil pans. My Camaro Super Stocker had one with the steering center section running through the pan by way of a tube. 15 minutes to have the pan off.... :)
I have the one year only, one vehicle line only, oil pan (817) to clear steering when doing a big block into a '67-'69 Mopar A-body. :drive

july2849

Well Known Member
I pulled the motor up just enough for the pan to clear the frame. Dropped the pan, pulled out the oil pump and shaft, Took photo of the one from the car and a spare from an original 348-build shop installed short shaft-or a small block pump-MSD distributer never reached it.
Installed a new pump and shaft from Show Cars, put it back in the car, now distributer fits. Took me 1/2 day some Aleve -took me 2 weeks to get over being pissed before I tackled it.

Attachments

• DSC01059.JPG
    DSC01059.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 43

427John

Well Known Member
If this is the same engine as your previous thread and is the same oil pump that explains your original issues.If this a different oil pump and shaft it would be very disappointing that they still got the wrong one and you had to pull the engine again to replace it.

july2849

Well Known Member
yes it is. The first 348 I dropped in a ran froze after a few min run time.
Engine shop rebuilt the btm end and I paid for the parts so it ended ok and wasn't a big bill-except the I dropped it in the 2nd time after I primed it-I clocked the Dist and dropped it in. It was only after messing with a bit it did I realize the they installed a short shaft in the oil Pump. So I had to pull is again to get to the pump and re-install a longer shaft. It has been an education for me, and a long time. Now im trying to make a oil primer out of an old dist so I can be assured its oiling the Passenger side, before I run it..