348 engine--but what tranny

chipmunk

new here guys, but and old fart from way back....rolled the 348 with 3x2's in 1969. just bought a 348 thats complete with 2/4 intake. ($300..is that a good buy?)
my question is what tranny's will bolt up to this booger. i'm putting it in a 1940 chev 2 door sedan... what can you tell me, can i move up to a 400 tranny or do i have to stay with the old powerglide which i don't have but can get a 400 free if it'll work.
thanks gang any help appreciate..

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The 400 will bolt up but you have to use a starter that bolts to the bottom of the block and you can't use the old castiron powerglide starter. Roy

chipmunk

thanks fellows. i appreciate the advice and any opinions. i may be interested in swapping the 2x4's for one fur or 3x2's. thanks again.

chipmunk

29coupe348- honestly don't know yet! the engine is packed back under a shelf. My brother built racing engines for many years and after his death in 98 his wife finally decided to let some of the stuff in the shop go. I bought the 348 as had an impala long ago and thought it'd be a good conversation in a 40 sedan. I'm on a new job out of town and only get home every two weeks. i plan to pull it out and get the engine # and check heads etc. I have a vacation trip out west planned for the 4th so it may be after that.
Please email me at thunderingpickup@bellsouth.net and I will make sure you get the info.....do you have a single 4 or 3x2?

chipmunk

29coupe348
I will be traveling all next week so I'll get back with you after the 4th. have a safe holiday week.