348 engine problems

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
will check oil pump drive shaft-there was some oil in heads-not much-valley had some oil-lifters had oil-Oil canister and filter had none-dry as a bone. No bent rods that I can see-lift, Never got to check pressure gauge-was mechanical- busy trying to dial in Dist and carbs to keep engine running, never ran more than 4-5 min at a time-Had pulled tappet cover to check for head bolt leaks as I saw some drippage, oil was there so I though OK, obvious error in judgment.
Can you take a 409 crank and put it on a 348, and change the oil pan so you have a stroker w/o much difficulty.
Apparently you never primed the engine with a priming tool and drill . You will definitely do that the next time. You can do with engine out of car .I do feel your discouragement , sometimes things just happen that way.

july2849

Well Known Member
I have been taking lots of Pics-thanks for advice-saved oil as well-got engine out, intake and pan off-looks like #7 trashed itself-skirt looked like 36 grit. backed off ends caps still would not turn. Pistons were thirty over. Oil Pump was not stuck. Builder said he'd make it right, not sure what that means or if motor can be sleeved. we'll see.
Did have [2] head bolts each side leaking into cyls that was pretty obvious.

Attachments

• DSC00916.JPG
    DSC00916.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00918.JPG
    DSC00918.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 76

july2849

Well Known Member
what you can see looks pretty decent in most bores-cross hatching-some rust streaking from the head bolts leaking, since I wasn't able to turn the engine its hard to access all the bores. That and the builder needs to take it apart.

Attachments

• DSC00857.JPG
    DSC00857.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00858.JPG
    DSC00858.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 59

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Crank bearings and rod bearing s welding together.....????? No oil to them ....

Last edited:

july2849

Well Known Member
I hope so too-I'm hoping the crank can be saved and block sleeved-I'll give him a couple days them run down to the shop see what he's got torn down. Block is 30 thous over now-not sure how much you can over bore one and if they do one they should do all, means new pistons, rings, bearings-crank grind or a new crank-Oil Pump should be replaced with a new one. Gonna get expensive-He's says he'll make it right but he's the shop manager not the Owner so it could end in court. Which would not be the end of the world-I'd win pretty sure and take the check and buy a rebuilt motor-I'm not building a show car-just want to drive around an old 59 camino to Menards and Sonics.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
This is a case where I would have a different shop pull the engine apart to see what the other shop screwed up. If your shop is honest they'll level with you, if not they may try and pin this on you. No one likes to admit they screwed up.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Good advice but too late now. Trouble in this area there are few builders unless I want to drive a ways and I don't. Old timer who originally took the engine in and started the work has retired and moved to AZ due to health. I'll have to play the cards I'm dealt.
No such thing as to late. Unless they started to re-machine the engine already and putting new parts in. Besides. Pay a different shops machinist to go to your current shop and have them explain to him what happened and have him look at the parts and confirm. Then you will know for a fact where they went wrong. That is also the best way to ensure they "do the right thing". Plus its cheap insurance if you would need to go to court. We get inspectors for cars here all of the time and if there isn't something right that we missed then we would be stupid to not fix it asap correctly. ;) Also have them throw all of the old parts you paid for in a box. They are yours and they are evidence too. Would rather have all of that instead of another guess as to what gave and why.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I see the point about getting another shops opinion, but in my book, if the shop is taking responsibility, let them take care of the issue. At my shop, we have issues time to time, defective parts, other concerns, missed diagnosis etc... not often mind you, but it does happen. I make sure to take care of any issues because my reputation is the most important thing I have. Give the machine shop that chance. And don’t ride them, let them do their homework and make smart decisions. Good luck, and let us know how it progresses.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
One of the things that concerns me, if the shop has to bore the block out further than the already .030" and turn the crank that's one less rebuild you can get out of this vintage iron. That alone would piss me off. In the perfect world there would be compensation. Man I hate having this conversation, I feel for you buddy. What a disappointment.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I strongly suspect that streming from his eariler posts,that that engine had the wrong oil pump drive installed.The pictures point to a severe[as in none] lack of oil,and he said that the oil filter was empty when he took it off

Tom and I just went through that, I caught that when I was priming the oil pump. The sad part was I had installed the engine.

427John

Well Known Member
I see the point about getting another shops opinion, but in my book, if the shop is taking responsibility, let them take care of the issue. At my shop, we have issues time to time, defective parts, other concerns, missed diagnosis etc... not often mind you, but it does happen. I make sure to take care of any issues because my reputation is the most important thing I have. Give the machine shop that chance. And don’t ride them, let them do their homework and make smart decisions. Good luck, and let us know how it progresses.
Very good point,if you get too belligerent you may go from a shop that is willing to make it right to a shop that is uncooperative.In a perfect world you can safely make the assumption that if you pay someone to do a job that they will do it right the first time,but unfortunately in the real world sometimes you have to be satisfied if you can just get them to do it right eventually.