348 Engine X Motor

StingRaye

A friend of mine bought a 61 bubble top Impala with a 348. When the car was delivered it had an X on the block. I told him it was a 409 and really between the both of us--we're really not experts. When I read the code TF, it indicates a 348 truck motor. I thought only 409's had the X, but what do I know. Please give me a little advise on this. Thanks.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Casting nmbers

Browsing through the links Fatride posted will get you started in the right direction. As you already know the stamped pad lettering "TF", you can then check the block casting code and between the two of them get a good idea what you have.

You might pop a valve cover off and check those castings as well. Then you'll know the block and the heads. Keep us posted if you have any questions and we'll try to answer them!

If you looked at the "badging" on the 1961 car, you can tell if it had a "W" engine in it, assuming the front hood and rear decklid badging was original to the car (easy to change these parts, though).

I had a truck 348 with an "X" on the block but it was from 1965.

Best,
TomK

oil4kids

Well Known Member
I have a 62 348 with the x on the block, had a truck waterpump on it but has 409 features such as a 409 oil pan

smithd7

Well Known Member
oil4kids said:
I have a 62 348 with the x on the block, had a truck waterpump on it but has 409 features such as a 409 oil pan

Is this an orginal 348 engine in your '62?