348 for 59 Nomad wagon

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We can certainly help out with that....unless we had to declare it and you had to pay duty on it.
Thanks Dave:clap
Gav can we just mail you some JD or does that fall under the :beatup
We can certainly help out with that....unless we had to declare it and you had to pay duty on it.
Thanks for the offer gents:clap:appl. I normally stock up each time i come over and then just have it shipped home with whatever parts i'm shipping, which then saves on freight costs. Or I get my in-laws in CA to add the off bottle or two when they are shipping stuff for me to.

I will keep this in mind though.

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well seems like forever when i first posted this about the 348 build for the 59 wagon.
Parts have all been amassed and short from pushed rods and lifters everything has now been dropped off to the engine reconditioners for the assembly.
These guys are real busy and the aim is to have this back by October. We have an annual car meet here in Jan 2020 and want it all full installed well before then.
i have doug's tri-y headers on order along with some other parts from the states and will be collecting these on my unplanned holiday to CA at the end of August YAY. It's just a quick trip and will only be in CA for 10 days. then next year is the BIG holiday.

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
the Radiator that is currently in the wagon and keeping the 283 cool is a non original cross flow unit. Has done the job ok.

What would be the recommendation for cooling now that going with mild to warmish 348 and anyone want to give anything up! :D
Thanks
Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So a couple of weeks ago i started getting the sump & timing cover ready to take to the engine reconditioner. I brought a sump plug & washer, sandblasted the sump, which didn't look to flash afterwards. Fitted the new sump plug and tested for leaks and didn't seal all. The plug had been played around with and upon further inspection it had a 1/2" wheel nut welded to the inside.:facepalm

So a new drain plug was welded in plus a patch :winner

plug.jpg

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
look what came home today. :winner Long weekend here this weekend so a lot of shed work ahead.
Does anyone recognize any parts here (dave-boxerdog) !

A BIG thanks to Don Jacks for all the parts recommendations and advise with knowledge and to Dave for heads and rocker covers.

Will report more as i start getting the old motor out and the below one in.
IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

OPEN WIDE AND AHHHHH

IMG_1620.jpg

Gav

Last edited:

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looking good Gav. :bow How about a quick overview of the components as I'm too lazy to look back on this thread?
Gee, what we do to help our fellows brothers out, i would put it in audio for you but no such luxury here for that :D:laugh

348 block bored 30 & 10, 10 on the crank
817 heads with a bit of bowl work to them and stainless valves, 7/16 guide plates, comp roller tip rockers (thanks to Dave -boxerdog).
Comp hydraulic cam .519 intake .525 exhaust valve lift (0950 - show cars)
Icon forged pistons 10.5-1
Edelbrock performer manifold
Street Demon 625 cfm

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Outstanding! Hard to believe that stuff all found its way down there and now it get another shot. I will be sure to relay to Kevin also.

I thought at least you'd cut off those scabbed on wire looms!
Yeah, yeah :D, engine guy wanted them before i had finished with them. Had them all cleaned and put back together then he wanted them.
Have had to use the spacers as the dripper's were touching the rockers.

Today the "scabby" loom holders are gone :good

Thanks for all your help on this. O and i have had my holidays approved for next year for 6 weeks, July through August :cool:

Gav

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Yeah, yeah :D, engine guy wanted them before i had finished with them. Had them all cleaned and put back together then he wanted them.
Have had to use the spacers as the dripper's were touching the rockers.

Today the "scabby" loom holders are gone :good

Thanks for all your help on this. O and i have had my holidays approved for next year for 6 weeks, July through August :cool:

Gav
Looking forward to your next visit, and I am glad everything is working out. Should be a very nice combo!