348 head/block compatibility

stan b

I have a 1958 block casting number 3751872 and head casting number 3732791. I was told they came off a running engine, but have read on one website that they are not compatible due to water jackets around the spark plug area. However, upon looking at the block and heads, there are no such water jackets. Anyone have any knowledge of this issue? I am thinking of using the combination anyway..

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
According to the casting number the block is the first , late 1958 with the cooling holes for the spark plugs. Time for you to get things straight. Go to the home page , look up top of the message board on the left hand side of the tool bar. Look for the menu for 348/409 V8 casting numbers. Look up your heads and block number and draw your own conclusions. It would also help us all if you can post pictures of the heads and block. Something is not adding up here? Here is a link to the home page, http://www.348-409.com/

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
My disclaimer is that I don't know the 1958 "W" stuff real well :).

I thought that "872" block was the one associated with the "791" heads? Is there an "early version 872" and a "later version 872"?

If not, then what is the block casting number that goes with those heads?

Always something to learn, Pics would clarify things :).

Cheers! TomK

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What is your intended use,or level of build for this engine?If you're considering the Edelbrock heads,it sounds like you're aiming for power.

stan b

You are right it’s time to get things straight. I will send pics when I get the block back from the machine shop. By the way, it’s a late (November) block but has no cooling ports. As for performance, I’m happy with 300 hp for street only.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You are right it’s time to get things straight. I will send pics when I get the block back from the machine shop. By the way, it’s a late (November) block but has no cooling ports. As for performance, I’m happy with 300 hp for street only.
My information comes directly from this site. If the information is incorrect we need to fix it to avoid future issues. If it indeed is incorrect you have my apologies. Let's all look into this issue. I hope it turns out that you can teach all of us something new!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Block# 3751872[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
Year used: 1958
Model: Passenger car
Engine: 348
Horsepower: 250,280,315
Bore: 4.125
Stroke: 3.25
Main Journal: 2.50
Rod Journal: 2.20
Notes: Only used for 1958. Note-this will not work with #3732791 heads as it is the first block to include cooling holes for the spark plugs.
Pics:
[/FONT]

Matching records: 1 Pages: 1

exact all any perfect

Home Page | Site Map

© 2018 (MMXVIII) www.348-409.com
No portion of this website, including text, images or code, may be copied, reproduced,
published or distributed in any medium without the expressed written permission of www.348-409.com.

Bobs classic and antique auto parts

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Head# 3732791[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
Intake Valve Size: 1.94
Exhaust Valve Size: 1.66
Notes: This cylinder head is the first design and used only for 1958. This head does not have water cooling cavities around the spark plug recesses. This design is completely different from later designs.
[/FONT]

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]348/409 Cylinder Head Casting numbers[/FONT]

Results: Found 3 matches out of 21 records

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Head# 3758379[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
Year used: 1961
Horsepower: 250,280
Notes: This cylinder head is the second design. Major design differences from the first design 1958 head #3732791. Water cooling passages have been added around the spark plugs. This head is distinctive as there are cored cooling slots visible at the spark plug relief area.
Pics:
[/FONT]

Year used: 1960
Notes: This cylinder head is the second design. Major design differences from the first design 1958 head #3732791. Water cooling passages have been added around the spark plugs. This head is distinctive as there are cored cooling slots visible at the spark plug relief area.
Pics:
[/FONT]

Year used: 1959
Pics:
[/FONT]

Matching records: 3 Pages: 1

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Block# 3732811[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
Bore: 4.125
Stroke: 3.25
Main Journal: 2.50
Rod Journal: 2.20
Notes: This was the first 348 block for 1958 and can only be used with #3732791 heads. The block has no provisions for spark plug cooling holes to the 1958 cylinder heads. This block was replaced later with #3751872.
Pics:
[/FONT]

Matching records: 1 Pages: 1

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That's not exactly correct. I can't count the number of times I have posted about this popular misconception. There were 2 versions of the 872 block. Before mid Feb 58 the 872 did not have cooling passages. After mid Feb the 872 did have cooling passages but were not drilled unless used on the sold lifter engine or truck engine. The 791 head was continued on the 250 and 280 engines while the SHP engines got new heads with cooling passages. The service heads were 256 castings that had dimples to drill out for cooling.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That's not exactly correct. I can't count the number of times I have posted about this popular misconception. There were 2 versions of the 872 block. Before mid Feb 58 the 872 did not have cooling passages. After mid Feb the 872 did have cooling passages but were not drilled unless used on the sold lifter engine or truck engine. The 791 head was continued on the 250 and 280 engines while the SHP engines got new heads with cooling passages. The service heads were 256 castings that had dimples to drill out for cooling.
Exactly what I was looking for. We need to include this info in the home page Bob.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
As to your original question,Stan b,you can use the block and heads together.For the power that you want,10.5 pistons,a good valve job with stainless valves and a bowl blend,an 0949 flat tappet cam,an intake manifold from a 340 horse 409 and a small afb and you're there.