348 in a '33 Roadster

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
It looks like either someone floated the heck out of this engine[too many rpms],or stuck the wrong cam in there.
Before I bought the engine, Tom told me that the previous owner had installed a big cam without checking the clearances and that the pistons had been hit. The odditiy is that there is one piston with no impact marks and very little carbon deposits, so I am assuming that one was swapped out after the cam issue.
John

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I haven't been able to identify the intake manifold that came with the engine. Here is a photo and a tracing of the casting number. It appears that the casting number is 3769837, although the "8" is hard to read. The date code is "B2260".
Can anyone help?
IMG_8869c-IntakeNoTracing.jpg

IMG_8864c-IntakeManifold.jpg

Thanks,
John

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Full picture of the manifold enclosed. Also a close-up of the front of the manifold. Although there is no gasket in place (installed just for mock-up), there is an opening in the block that is not covered by the manifold.
John IMG_8867c-IntakeManifold.jpg IMG_8870c-IntakeFrontFit.jpg

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Intake is 3769937, 61 305 hp.
1147 heads for 305hp used same springs as low hp 379 heads.
Look on bottom of intake runners and you should find 586 numbers as they were cast from the same pattern/mold.

Last edited:

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I wonder if they changed the valve springs when they changed the cam. Those original 250/305hp springs wouldn't hold the valves down much with a HL cam.
I haven't taken the heads apart yet because I wanted to use them to mock-up the rest of the chassis and body items (headers/exhaust/fuel lines/ radiator/body placement/shifter location/firewall clearance/final suspension location/etc) first before I spent money on building the engine. It will probably be a year before I get to the point of tearing the car back apart for final finishing. That's when I will have the engine & trans rebuilt.
However, looking at the heads with an un-knowing eye, everything looks old, so my guess would be that little was changed when the cam was installed; however, there are some peculiarities about the engine that have been discovered as I have taken it apart that have raised questions..
John

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks, Cecil. The date code on the manifold is B2260. Is it still a '61 manifold?
John
Quitte possibly,John. W engines were sometimes built as much as 3 months before going into a car.Who knows,especially on a low volume engine such as these,how far advance were the castings for those iron manifolds was??