348 in a TF NAPCO Truck

donsz

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any experience with the steering effort required with NAPCO equipped Task Force truck with a 348 engine installed?

I currently have a 1957 Chevy NAPCO pickup with a 283 in it. Before I added the NAPCO equipment, it had a 261 I6 cylinder in it. The steering was relatively easy at that point. Adding the NAPCO equipment caused the steering to be much "harder," requiring much more effort. My limited experience with NAPCO trucks is that they all seem to require more steering effort than normal. With the 283 installed, (when I get the truck on the road), I'm hoping the steering effort will be less (the 283 is somewhat lighter than the 261). I recently acquired a 348 I'm looking to rebuild and install in the truck, but am wondering if the 348 will make the steering effort really difficult beyond tolerance. To add to the mix, I have a period correct winch that I would like to install on the front, and I expect that weight won't help either. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The ultamate would be to find a 55-59 GMC Saginaw power steering box. This is an actual power steering box not a assisted box like on Chevrolet. Also any of the straight axle Toyota steering boxes can be fabbed to work. And of course rebuilding your front end and not having a bunch of old worn out components.

donsz

Well Known Member
Thanks for the info Dan. I did rebuild both differentials completely, so if I did that right, that part shouldn't be a problem. Power steering is probably the best way to go, and it makes sense to do it when I swap out the engines. I'll research that. Thanks again.
Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the info Dan. I did rebuild both differentials completely, so if I did that right, that part shouldn't be a problem. Power steering is probably the best way to go, and it makes sense to do it when I swap out the engines. I'll research that. Thanks again.
Don

Most of the GMC big trucks will have the power steering box. They are still out there you just have to look...:deal Good luck.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
You say it is a pickup. Is yours a 1/2t or 3/4t? Back the mid 60's, I took out the 235 in my 57 1/2t 4x4 (factory NAPCO that my dad bought new) and replaced it with a 348. I don't remember hard steering before or after the engine replacement. The only issues I remember was the left exhaust manifold on the 348 and the steering section touching. I ground the manifold.

pinky49

i'm doing a 348 in my 57 gmc 1/2 ton 2wd right now and the steering box to manifold clearance is non existant and i'm going to re do the oil pan sump to clear the tie rod. other than that, it's fairly easy so far.
goodluck, ed

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Oh Kay................what the hell is a NAPCO????????????????:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch Can't stand not knowing what you guys are talking about!!!!

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Ron, Thanks for link. I have seen a few of these trucks around and always thought they were pretty special. Kinda like the old Power Wagons too. BTW, nice to get Phil up to speed on these trucks too.:deal Leo

donsz

Well Known Member
Mine is a 3/4 ton truck, but the NAPCO equipment is 1/2 ton. Thanks for all the replies, they give a good perspective on the conversion implementation and anticipated results.