348 or 409 in 1940's Chevy Truck

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
I am wondering if a 348, 409 or any chevy V8 would fit under the hood and between the fenders of a 1941 - 1947 Chevy half ton pick-up? I did a quick search on this site and could not find any examples or any threads asking advice on wedging a 348/409 into a 1940's chev pick-up. Thoughts, suggestions, links to any threads or anyone who has actually attempted this feat would be appreciated. Thx

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I had installed one ( a 348+) in my '37 Chevy truck, but I had never finished off the steering before I decided to swap off the truck and keep the engine. But the exhaust cleared (Dougs flat block huggers) . It had a Heidts front crossmember and IFS , and CE side mounts. I had kept it pretty low in the car, but I could have gained some clearance if I had raised it up a bit. The "new owner" simply bolted in a 327.

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
If they fit in a first gen Nova I'm sure they could be made to fit in an old truck, never know till you try.
You're right about not knowing unless trying. However, I would hate to buy a truck to put a 348 into and end up re-doing panels and fenders. I'm ok with modding frames and other items hid by panels, fenders, quarter panels, etc to get an engine in a car. I'm just not a body guy.

38Chevy

Well Known Member
You're right about not knowing unless trying. However, I would hate to buy a truck to put a 348 into and end up re-doing panels and fenders. I'm ok with modding frames and other items hid by panels, fenders, quarter panels, etc to get an engine in a car. I'm just not a body guy.
I have a 409 in my 38 Coupe and there are no clearance problems with the hood.