348 or 409?

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
Let's see how much I've learned. Doesn't look like a 340hp 409 to me. Of course, I'm going solely on the dip stick or lack thereof. Also, the intake looks aluminum, which is uncharacteristic of a 340hp 409. Something strikes me as strange with the water pump as well, but can't put my finger on it.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
No word from seller

Thanks for your input. The pics are not terribly revealing, as you might have noticed. I didn't notice a dipstick, but had trouble making out other components, and thought I'd ask the members for clues and insights. The seller states that it is a 348, but it was removed running from a 1964 SS car, so I thought it was worth the exploration. One never knows when you might stumble upon a mistake made by others, right?

It would be rare for me to locate a running complete engine within my price range :). I did send a message to the seller, which I think is a shop, so they probably know the differences between 348s and 409s. No word from them as yet, and the auction is over soon.

Thanks again for you input on short notice. I'll keep looking. Got plenty to keep me busy right now!

Best,
TomK

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe a truck motor?

Isn't that a truck water pump. The bypass makes a big loop, which mine doesn't. Looks like the pump sits high, like a truck pump does. ?????????????????

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Here's another test. I think I know the answer but want to make sure. Does this casting number match the cylinders? I thought passenger car engines did not have the cut out? That's what I get for not taking any pics when mine was torn down.

Truck block.