348 piston size & source question

33Chevy

OK "Just" rec'd my Show Cars 2012 Catalog listing (Packard) 9.5:1 pistons for $259 a set, not bad, so I call them about ordering and was advised that they are now $60 more at $319 a set.

Questions:

1) Anyone use these (Packard) pistons, if so for boring purposes are they machined to size or under?

2) Any other sources for 348 pistons? (1962 truck 348) will be low HP engine.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Showcars seems to be doing this a lot lately. Show/print one price but then you call or try and order online and the price jumps up. Hmm

409hotrod49merc

Showcars seems to be doing this a lot lately. Show/print one price but then you call or try and order online and the price jumps up. Hmm
I am with you on what is going on with these prices, nor far from driving me back to the flaheads, and 327's.. as far as your piston, you might try falcon global, they sell builders choice pistons, which from what I understand are owned by Packard, out of new jersey, I am using them in my 409, note, these are cast pistons, Molly skirted, won' stand up to high r.p.m.'s...but should be fine for a diver build....

33Chevy

I am with you on what is going on with these prices, nor far from driving me back to the flaheads, and 327's.. as far as your piston, you might try falcon global, they sell builders choice pistons, which from what I understand are owned by Packard, out of new jersey, I am using them in my 409, note, these are cast pistons, Molly skirted, won' stand up to high r.p.m.'s...but should be fine for a diver build....

Thanks...sent Falcon Global an email...waiting for a response.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I think that someone told me that the new pistons have coated skirts,hence the higher price.

33Chevy

I think that someone told me that the new pistons have coated skirts,hence the higher price.

Looks like I don't have much of a choice..they own the monopoly! I now understand why there are so many 348 engines "apart" for sale. The individual probably had real intentions of rebuilding them..but reality sets in once you begin looking for parts!

Also noticed that if you add up the individual parts included in the Show Cars Engine Rebuild Kit..the total is less than the kit price listed....so you don't save buying a rebuild package kit.

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
By adding about 10% to your total rebuild cost, you can have real forged pistons in the exact compression ratio you want. Ross or Diamond are two places that will make them. Then you will have a strong reliable engine.