348 Stroker Shop Truck Build

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well, since I sold my 54 Chevy pickup and bought this 69 GMC step side short bed to make a shop truck out of I have been buying some parts. My goal is to take this running driving truck and transplant a 348 Stroker in it. A 69 GMC with a 348 W motor in it.. I don’t recall seeing one around here, if anybody has any pics please share them. The guy that I bought the truck from has already put a new 700r4 and a small block in it. It does run really well and drives really well with its new springs and shocks and brakes. Also has 22 inch steel wheels on it. A little bit of rust here in there but a pretty solid truck overall. Something to drive to run parts in or to go to swap meets in. A shop truck!!!
Here are some of the goodies that I just received today from Bob, the block is down at a friend of mine‘s machine shop getting a new sleeve and decked for the pistons and rods that I got from Dean. Thanks Dean! Set of forged Ross pistons and a set of eagle forged 6.135 rods. My crank has been sent off to the machine shop in Springfield to have the mains turned to fit the 348/409 blocks. When it gets back we will turn the counterbalance weights down in Jeff’s new CNC lathe, and balance it. Don Jack’s is a special person, and a plethora of knowledge when it comes to the 348 409 engines. I’ve always been amazed at how many people on this site who are willing to help and give their opinions, this has really give me the drive to have my own motors and hopefully a car soon for my 409. Thanks to Bob,Denny,92C8A34B-FCFD-456B-93B2-752B78526A4F.jpeg2354AAAB-9813-4E32-8F6B-340361F88070.jpeg6086BB39-F995-47C3-92B1-1D627F3F5366.jpegEE196AC7-D11B-44FB-8B1D-12B8CEEB4E24.jpeg204D0F03-401B-4561-AC95-520AE357B8DD.jpeg01989D0E-63C7-442B-A35D-E400A453EF88.jpeg54E23104-F2B3-4449-9D7D-0CB2FDB4EC55.jpeg16477BCD-769C-4BAF-917F-24A590A16C49.jpeg Russ, Phil, James, Tom, Don, Ralph and many others this might be a dream come true in the near future. And I owe it all to James and Tom who gave me the W virus:facepalm:confused I have yet to determine whether that is good or bad:dunnoI time will tell:cool: I have spent many nights reading threads from quite a long time ago even amazed at the knowledge of all you guys and I appreciate this group of guys! A lot of you that look at my stuff I have met in person and the drag-strip or bought parts from, my only regret is I had done this about 25 or 30 years ago! And that would’ve made me 100 years younger than Phil at the time!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy Thanks guys sincerely and I hope I never lose the 409 drive!!!!
Here are some pics.....

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks but you'd better figure in the parts and labor o/h of that 700r4 .It may be new,but it's stock replacement,that 409 inch,460 hp,500 ft.lb[remember it/'s a low compression shop truck motor] will be eat that trans alive in short order.Besides with your tendancies to "Burn a tire" we both know damned well that it'll find it's way down the drag strip at least twice. May as well build for it.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks but you'd better figure in the parts and labor o/h of that 700r4 .It may be new,but it's stock replacement,that 409 inch,460 hp,500 ft.lb[remember it/'s a low compression shop truck motor] will be eat that trans alive in short order.Besides with your tendancies to "Burn a tire" we both know damned well that it'll find it's way down the drag strip at least twice. May as well build for it.
:good:good:good See what I mean Don you are the man, your wisdom is correct. Although the transmission is not stock I have the receipt with the upgrades. Just not sure if it’s upgraded enough? It’ll be fun to find out though.:confused:cool:
And Don, if you look close at the interior it does have a third pedal!:brow

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Get Kevin to build you a 4L80 for it.
Gery, RIP had a suburban that had an injected W in it, I talked with him about it but don't remember how big it was. There has to be some information about it on here somewhere. I do remember that his shop class built it.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’ve been thinking about an Holly sniper fuel injection (Don recommended) and I think I have a transmission up at his shop already. It was in a four-wheel-drive and I think it just needs the output shaft in the tail housing changed. He done one in my Silverado and damn it shifted good. In the tow/haul mode I could get second gear pulling my car trailer...:burnoutwith a 4L60. used that transmission to mock up in my 54 and took it back to him. Here’s a little evidence of what Don was talking about. Ralph’s is next to me.

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What will you do for traction on that little truck with the very nice motor? 2 wheel drive were good in snow around here if you add at least 500 lbs of sand. You’ll need some sand on dry pavement. Other than I’d use the 3rd pedal, I really like what you’re doing with that nice little truck. :appl:appl:appl:applYou and Bob will be able to meet and have a race?