348 strokers

ctcown

I was shoping in Publix today and seen a Hot Rod deluxe mag with a very interesting article about a 348 stroked with a new eagle crank (434 cu) the new eld. heads & intake a soild roller (Isky R-561) and only 10.5 compression Ho! and four bolt cap conver. dyno results 521hp-488lbs

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
That would be 0.030 over bore (4.155) with a 4-in stroke. I think I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't make more torque.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Over Square

I once heard the reason our blocks (348 esp) make great torque is the bore is much larger than the stroke. With a four inch stroke, the bore and stroke are very nearly the same, rather than the stock different of .875 inches(7/8th).

Not that I'd complain about more than doubling the stock power :clap

Thats a pretty darn good improvement :cool:

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think the 348 is going to be more and more popular. Good flowing heads and stroker cranks are changing everything. The 348 already has a fairly big bore, all it needed was a little extra stroke to get it into the big leagues. In fact I think you could argue that a stroked 348 would make a better street engine than a stock stroke 409.:deal

ctcown

348 stroker

I think the torque was low due to the large 2 1/4 sbc boat headers that were modified to use on the dyno. However looks like there is alot still on the table(hp/lbs) with ported heads and more compression and a good single plane intake would really wake that baby up. I was suprised that they did not have to spin it that high in the power band to get the power 522.1hp at 6100rpm and 488.4lbs at 5100 rpm. Just shows that the eld. heads have a some what small cross section in the intake runner which is why they did'nt have great dyno numbers with a 482 in some of the other articles I have seen

b-d409

Well Known Member
Can you give me some info on the magazines year, month, series etc. to that article?

Thanks, Dan

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I thought that was a pretty well-done article, not the usual bolt-together stuff. Those folks did a nice job on that one, should be a great street setup. I kinda like that magazine, too, it can be interesting.

valvefloat

Well Known Member
hot rod deluxe

A buddy at work told me about that mag. I tried 3 different mag racks and finally got it! pricey!!! I thought it was an awesome article. I'm still learning alot about the old blocks. How would a 348 do instead of the 434?? anyone? No worries I still need to save up the 2100 bucks for the heads. There were some cool old hot rods in there in addition to the stroker article. I like the 32 chevy roadster. You dont hear much about them.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Summit...

who is sellin these parts, because I wont get this mag until Jan as I'm in Australia

You can get the heads and intake from Summit and I would think Jegs.
The Edelbrock part numbers can be found here:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/heads/chevrolet_409.shtml

You can get the crank from Eagle (their virtual catalogs aren't working yet): :bang
http://www.eaglerod.com/
But you can always email them:
service@eaglerod.com

For the bottom end parts you can do a kit from Show Cars or Aubrey.
http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/409chevyengineparts.html
http://www.show-cars.com/03 Engine Int 2.htm

Good luck and I hope shipping down under isn't an arm and a leg!

Ragan

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I just got the magazine. This is a really good article, it's a full ten pages long. Anybody thinking of building a 348 or 409 should consider picking up a copy. I scanned the dyno results and I think they're very impressive. As rwagon57 pointed out the peak torque number isn't all that high, but it's not bad either. The really cool thing about the torque curve is that it's almost as flat as a table from 4200 to 5600rpm. There's no doubt this engine will haul ***!:deal

Attachments

• 434.jpg
    434.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 87

poison ivy

Well Known Member
what would be a fair cost to buy, machine and assemble a 348 stroker such as the one they tested using the parts needed, if you had a stock 1960 complete engine in the garage. poison ivy

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
what would be a fair cost to buy, machine and assemble a 348 stroker such as the one they tested using the parts needed, if you had a stock 1960 complete engine in the garage. poison ivy

Twice as much as you had planned.:roll :roll Do you mean you assemble or a shop handle assembly and dyno?

poison ivy

Well Known Member
shop assemble and dyno included. if possible break it down to get a realistic cost for it to be done professionally as a novice would be making a misstake to try on thier own the first time... poison ivy

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
With all good quality stuff & machine work Ronnie is bang on from what I've seen at the shop.

Dave