348 strokers

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Say it ain't so..

My guess is $10,000 - $12,000 if you furnish block.
:eek:

Enough to make a grown man :cry

While I don't want to believe the total, $85/hour adds up quickly. Especially when you pay:
850 for the crank
2100 for the complete Edelbrock heads
3000 for block work. Boring, hot tanking, sonic testing, bearings, etc
1000 pistons, rings
260 - 500 for cam
300 - 500 for distributor
500 for manifold
800 for two carbs

Need pricing for rods
Need pricing for 4 bolt main kit

I took most of this from Aubrey's site, Summit, and the engine builder down the street I'm thinking of using.

It adds up way too quickly.

Here's to hoping I have a rich uncle I don't know about :cheers

Ragan

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Cheap 348 stroker

Not at all in the same category, but I just did the add up on the parts and labor on my recent FA 348 build that used the 409 crank, BBC rods, forged aluminum stroker pistons, 1147 heads, new valves, studs, springs, rockers and so forth. Total came in under $5000. That's with the rebuilt tripower top end and a dual point distributor. I don't think I missed anything, but I might have.

Of course it doesn't use the more expensive BBC crank and the new aluminum heads, so it's a bit of a poor man's build... And no dyno pull costs were included.

Cheers!
TomK

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Ok, the peak torque for the 434 was lower than I expected, but that flat torque curve will be huge fun to drive.:D

budgetrod

Well Known Member
That sounds like a nice build. I would like to see dyno numbers on your combo. Any plans for dynoing in the future?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Maybe, maybe not

If you were asking about my 348 budget build, and whether I will be heading to the dyno, I've considered it, but haven't decided as yet. Depends on whether I have $500 left over after the restoration of the vehicle :).

This wasn't a performance build, I was just using stuff I had "down the basement", so the final specs are not of interest to me. I am curious, and have never dynoed an engine before, but my local builder did make me the offer (for his one day fee), so who knows?

If I had to dyno one of my engines, it would be my 409 stroker, based on the 396 crank...

Cheers!
TomK

567trishop

You guys are lucky as you live in the states, my 348 my motor owes me over $15,000, which is basically stock with a 671 supercharger. I have to include shipping parts to Australia, duties on the parts coming in and the dollar at 63 cents. I have put mine on the chassis dyno, got 300 hp at the rear wheel and run a 8.80 over the 1/8 (reaction time was 1.23 must be sleeping) I know that I could have a big block with a lot more power per dollar, but the W is a far cooler engine the have.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike, If you are talking about the 4" stroke parts for 348 or 409, yes, I do them , but have never done a 348. With the Eagle crank, most of the machining is notching the cyls. for rod bolt clearance. No big deal. No offense toward anyone, but why someone would build a 348 and spend $10,000 to $12,000 on the build is beyond me. 409 blocks are rare but not that rare. $500 for a 348 core,,, $1,500 for 409 core. Why build the little motor? Build for the masses?? :roll:roll Sure, ship me a block and a cigar box full of cash and I will get started. Expect a finished product in 6 to 8 months. Machine shop delays is why I quit building for profit. If you are patient and have money, my time is free to all of our members. Be forewarned though that I am cranky, mean, stubborn and go at my own pace .

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
If you are patient and have money, my time is free to all of our members. .

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have my dually and trailer loaded and see you Saturday morning!!!!:roll:roll:roll:roll

Actually Ronnie.........your statement is not correct. In an earlier thread, you said your labor rate was 15 cents an hour!!!!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil, My CPA called and told me the 15 cents per hour had put me in a higher tax bracket so I everything is free now. :doh

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
" cranky, mean and stubborn " After you live 61 and 7/8 of a year, you have a right to be grumpy.:cuss :roll:roll

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
I see what you mean Ronnie, but I already have a complete 348/4bbl that I got as a spare engine with a '58 Impala hardtop, back in 1999. Maybe I should save for the aluminum block instead!!!!!!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike, I didn't mean that 348 is a bad idea, just that I prefer the 409. Everybody has the right to spend their nickles and dimes on whatever they want. Now, A Bob Walla 572 does sound awfully good. Hope Bob gets that baby all worked out and in production.