348 stuck..

427John

Well Known Member
James recently diagnosed a "stuck engine" that moved just a bit in each direction, turned out to be the crank hitting the oil pan just a tad. One bump with the oil pan removed and it rotated properly. You never know...
Reminds me of the time a buddy of mine had a nice 2nd gen Trans Am that his wife drove he came home one day and she told him the engine was making noise,he checks and sounds like a rod knocking,he decided it was a good reason to upgrade to a built 455 and proceeds to do so,while pulling the low mileage well built 400 he notices a big dent in the oil pan,his wife admitted she had run over something in the road and that was when the noise started.It was amazing the racket it made when after pulling the pan witness marks showed the rod was barely kissing the pan.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nothing that old or extensive, however in 1988 I bought my wife an 88 Formula Firebird. Bright red don't you know. It still basically had no miles on it. So one day I was going to take it somewhere. Started it up, and turned it off. Asked her how long it had been making that noise. She said a couple of days. PCV valve stuck open. Sucked out 3 quarts of oil. :doh Luckily I just added the oil and it ran fine the whole time we owned it :D

neilswheels

Well Known Member
I've sprayed in Gibbs, a fair bit, and moved it, still only an inch or so, but I cn hear it 'squishing' past the loose plugs, so its moving. Seems odd I can move it at all if there's rust in the bores. I'm gonna pull the rockers off, eliminate all that stuff, and poss the pan (in case the cranks hitting) see what happens. Thanks for all your insight, much appreciated.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just freed up a 350 vortec that had been sitting for a while patience is the key put some atf or whatever you like and turn it at the flywheel, the crank bolt if you have one in the front at the damper will not give you much leverage

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Pull the pan first.If that squished area is at the front end area of that pan you have likely found your problem.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just freed up a 350 vortec that had been sitting for a while patience is the key put some atf or whatever you like and turn it at the flywheel, the crank bolt if you have one in the front at the damper will not give you much leverage
I always put two long bolts on the flywheel flange and use a 6' bar and work it back and forth little by little. That really only works though if you feel you have a chance in hell it will come loose. Keep in mind that if you have more than 2 cylinders stuck you probably want to stop wasting time and pull the whole thing apart.

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Pulled the rockers and dropped the sump today, still stuck. How much force should i be applying? Ive made a little adapter that bolts to the balancer via the 3 pulley bolts that i have a 1' wrench on, but with the mention of a 6' bar, maybe I haven't got enough leverage??

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I remember when I was pretty young my dad had a stuck 283 he let soak for a long time. He also made an adapter to bolt on the balancer so he could put more leverage on it. He put enough effort into it that he split the balancer in the keyway. Don’t know if yours is that stuck but it’s something to keep in mind.

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Good news guys, a bigger handle did the trick, it now moves! I got a couple of revolutions on the crank today, it’s tight, but it’s moving so I guess the next step is heads off and check the bores?

Attachments

• 14D625AD-9AF2-416E-A8C9-5D1747B0C360.jpeg
    14D625AD-9AF2-416E-A8C9-5D1747B0C360.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 7B433559-2DBE-43ED-B38F-DDEE5F000140.jpeg
    7B433559-2DBE-43ED-B38F-DDEE5F000140.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 32

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am glad you got that motor turning. I think that you were fighting yourself though. An extension on a flywheel turning tool on the flywheel would have given you exponentially much more leverage than turning it from the center of the crank. Like stroking and engine, you move the away from the centerline. Still, the important part is it is turning, good luck.