348 to a 700r4

Hello all,

I'm new to this site and Chevy's in general. I inherited a 58' Impala with a 348/powerglide. I wanted to put a 700r4 in place of the powerglide, I read somewhere that everything will go together you just need to use a certain starter with it, and I know I may need to relocate the tranny cross member. Is there any other things I may need to look for in this swap? Thanks in advance.

:cheers

oil4kids

Well Known Member
easier to do a 200r4 swap

unless you have a 500hp 348

same size trans etc better OD and 1st gear is not to steep

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Both the 700R4 and the 200R4 are good transmissions. I'm putting a 700 behind my 409 but it's not done yet. You will need (2) .025 shims on the crankshaft if its the same as a 409. You have to make sure the flexplate bolts to the converter properly and leaves enough room for the torque converetr to expand when it gets hot........ like I said I haven't done mine yet but if you do a search on here you'll find the info that explains it.

Dave

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I really like the 200R4, and in most Chevy's it's an easier swap than the 700R4 because the mount placement on the 200R4 is the same as the Turbo 400. But on these X frame cars I think it's easier to install the 700R4 because the transmission mount is much closer to the stock position.

Thanks for the responses. I was going to go with the 700r4 because I'm getting it from a friend for a good price. I'm not to concerned with gear ratio as either have got to be better than a powerglide. Any other info is appreciated. :cheers

I searched and it looks like I might be happier with a TH350. The car is going to be driven primarily around town and will rarely see the highway. Thanks for the help.