348 Tri-Power Build gone wrong / Follow New Rebuild

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Crank, Cam, Pistons / Rods are in. Show-Cars sent the wrong springs. So we can't start on the heads.
We re-ordered new ones, should be here in a few days. Hopefully Friday.
SRgYCUU.jpg

M3UwUNc.jpg

SDUB1vl.jpg
8GjBnXu.jpg
8eZFD9B.jpg
nzjrfli.jpg
l9y951o.jpg

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Through the center freeze plug hole, try to get a pencil between the cylinder walls. If it goes easily its a regular thickness wall. If the pencil won't go it's a thickwall but would need to be sonic checked for actual thickness.
Scott's "SAMPLE" block is a late 58 872 casting and has, or had a 4.31 bore. I have seen another with a 409 bore. No guarantee, but every one I have seen has the thicker cylinder walls.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Through the center freeze plug hole, try to get a pencil between the cylinder walls. If it goes easily its a regular thickness wall. If the pencil won't go it's a thickwall but would need to be sonic checked for actual thickness.
Scott's "SAMPLE" block is a late 58 872 casting and has, or had a 4.31 bore. I have seen another with a 409 bore. No guarantee, but every one I have seen has the thicker cylinder walls.
Yes Cecil it is still the same bore and the complete short block together. Still wanting to find something about the sample being cast on the left rear ledge.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I imagine it was cast as part of a test program...maybe machining, metalurgy or whatever?

Reactions: Tim

'37-4D

Well Known Member
What does this thing weigh? With those back tires and that low weight, this thing will be smoking rubber. The NEW 348 will have double or more the power of the OLD 348.
I would imagine somewhere around 1500-2000 lbs if I recall from an early conversation with the guy that fabricated the body.
I better start a petty cash piggy bank for shoes for sure LOL :burnout

'37-4D

Well Known Member
@DonSSDD
This was captured by a local downtown car enthusiast that likes to photograph and film Hot Rods and Muscle cars!
This is with the old motor. (observe smoke from exhaust pipes. They were blocked that day and dumping out back and still they came out)
I wasn't even trying that day. And YES, the new power will be something else I'm sure.
As @Don Jacks said: Brace yourself for a hole new animal. Easy on that pedal....." :laugh4
SOUND ON LOUD

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Exactly where are the rockers hitting those covers? Some of the Scoripion rocker are "rounded on the corners for that and those are to be used on the outer or end positions.If those aren't and they're hitting on the exhaust rockers on the ends of the head,a little grinding may be in order.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Looking at no 7, intake open, exhaust closed. Intake rocker is near the end of the rocker slot, exhaust not far from center, which made me wonder if push rods were too long. :scratch