348 Tri-Power Build gone wrong / Follow New Rebuild

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
@Don Jacks @DonSSDD Thank you all. Hoping for the best today! Will hopefully bring home some footage :)
Watching them dyno tune that race car up close was impressive mostly because I have had 2 dozen cars in my life and have thought some of them were running great. I now know that they could have run so much better if I had actually known how they were performing. John (engine builder owner at Mid-States Machine) let me ask a million questions while they were tuning and one tip over everything else stood out. Tune the car for the RPM you use most. I suggest you pay attention to your shift points a little closer because you can tune for more than just HP.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Update:
It all went well, for the exception of a minor issue with the oil filter. The bell housing bolt was too long, went through and damaged the adapter bracket and caused it to leak. We changed that and we were good to go. The second is that my battery was too low even with charge. Wouldn't always send the require 12 volts needed to cause spark. I guess it sat too long. So I will need a new one. No problem there.
I wasn't able to get videos of me cruising, since we mostly focused on debugging the truck. I'll be on it again tomorrow on Wednesday.

Here is a pic of the damaged plate, with the pressure the seal wouldn't hold up:
IUzvoyg.jpg

Here are a few still shots of the truck and me getting the truck started:
0n5FcJ1.jpg
Fk8Ta4p.jpg
ex7e86a.jpg

And here a few videos getting it fired and then running:

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Ok, quick question to get rid of any doubt:
I was told the second oil filter adaptor failed.
Everything was great with the one on for the dyno. My buddy messed it up with the bell housing bolt. And the replacement one we used was something like this: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mr-Gasket-1270-Oil-Filter-Conversion-Kit-1956-67-GM-V8,287894.html
It's all we could find that day and that one was a complete fail.

So went back to the original adaptor (found a new one) like this one yesterday:
WxGBr18.png

but the ring seal that came with it was slightly different (???) although it was the exact same part. So it leaked a little again with oil pressure loss. What's going on here? Manufacture defect?
Anyways he re-used the rubber seals that were on (still good) from the dyno adaptor, but too late to fire it up for the neighbours (too loud) LOL
So will try early today.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Update:
It all went well, for the exception of a minor issue with the oil filter. The bell housing bolt was too long, went through and damaged the adapter bracket and caused it to leak. We changed that and we were good to go. The second is that my battery was too low even with charge. Wouldn't always send the require 12 volts needed to cause spark. I guess it sat too long. So I will need a new one. No problem there.
I wasn't able to get videos of me cruising, since we mostly focused on debugging the truck. I'll be on it again tomorrow on Wednesday.

Here is a pic of the damaged plate, with the pressure the seal wouldn't hold up:
IUzvoyg.jpg

Here are a few still shots of the truck and me getting the truck started:
0n5FcJ1.jpg
Fk8Ta4p.jpg
ex7e86a.jpg

And here a few videos getting it fired and then running:
Did we already cover the no vacuum hose to distributor issue?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The manufacturing quality of those spin on adapters is poor, you may need to buy a couple to get a good one.
The 2 small bolts that come with them are questionable, the threads will stretch, go buy some good ones.
Go buy the correct canister filter for the 348, available at heavy truck places. They come with the right rubber ring gasket for the slit in the block that the spin on adapter uses. Get a good brand.
That bolt into the adapter is a well known issue.

Keep up the good work. :appl

'37-4D

Well Known Member
The manufacturing quality of those spin on adapters is poor, you may need to buy a couple to get a good one.
The 2 small bolts that come with them are questionable, the threads will stretch, go buy some good ones.
Go buy the correct canister filter for the 348, available at heavy truck places. They come with the right rubber ring gasket for the slit in the block that the spin on adapter uses. Get a good brand.
That bolt into the adapter is a well known issue.

Keep up the good work. :appl

Thank you @DonSSDD

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I like that particular adapter, but I always replace the bolts and the nut (there is an aluminum AN one that works well).

I think it's a Trans-Dapt 1024 although there are a bunch of them out there. Never had an issue with the rubber gasket.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Little updates:
Resolved the spin on adaptor issue, but won't know for sure as she was being super grumpy!! Going through her teething pains.
First off, when she was on jack stands, the motor was ever so slightly tilted back which probably caused it to flood. :doh
So we dropped her. Had to replace battery as the juice kept dropping below the generator's required voltage. The Interstate was garbage anyways. We dropped in one of those DIE HARD batteries (Advance Auto Parts/CarQuest) and chose one with a higher cold cranking amperage 700. Added hotter plugs, ACDelco R45xls (Sorry the previous plug data was my mistake - Edited)
And since it was flooded and we tried turning it over too many times, we killed what was left of the PowerMaster Power plus starter :doh:doh
So ordered a new one. Also ordered a Mr.Gasket 9710 fuel regulator to make a 100% sure we can dial the mechanical fuel pump at no more than 5lbs. My old school carb guy recommended this last add-on before we even see him about the carbs slight leaking. Said this might be the resolve.
Starter will be here tomorrow and we will manually read the fuel pump until we get the regulator and have another go. Hope I reported properly.
I sure am packing some lessons. Forced learning for this total newb :read:think:write All part of the Hot Rodding hobby!

Last edited:

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
R45ts spark plugs are not the right spark plugs for the 333 heads your using. They are way to short and the wrong sealing surface for those heads. I’m sure Don will be along with the correct number for you to use. What plugs did you take out? Wonder if the wrong plugs were used and part of your lower than expected power on the dyno?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
And John Force style burn outs!!!!!!!!!!!!!:burnout:burnoutPut the right plugs in it and there's no telling how much power you'll pick up for sure but 60-70 wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.The torque increase will be unreal.

Last edited: