348 Tri-Power Build gone wrong / Follow New Rebuild

'37-4D

Well Known Member
@Don Jacks @Tim @64ss409 @dm62409
You guys were all indeed correct!!!!
The head shop guy checked out the assembly today and, yes, the push rods are too long. Show Cars sent a non roller cam set! :irk
Poly lock nuts are correct and installed correctly. The roller rockers with the nuts are too tall for my Mooneyes valve covers. They are hitting the nuts, not the rocker arm. Will definitely need spacers.

427John

Well Known Member
37-4D If you used BBC studs on your heads that may be the source of your problem.The small port heads used the same studs as sbc and there are 2 different length studs available,I found this when getting my 333's rebuilt,the 333's used the shorter of the 2 studs available.There is no reason why you can't use the longer sbc,or the BBC studs but you may have to use spacers or a taller valve cover to clear them.I think there are shorter poly locks available for the 3/8 stud but I don't know if there are for the 7/16 stud.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I didn’t order push rods until I measured what was needed. I got 2 adjustable push rods and 2 solid lifters. Adjusted until the contact patch was the smallest in the Center 1/3 of the stem. Once I had the length I ordered those.
used the spacers from show cars, epoxied those to the bottom of the valve covers and used a 3/8 cork gasket. That got me enough clearance for the rockers and studs.
prior to that the rockers and the studs hit the covers. If your studs are hitting, the top of the rockers (Carb side) will likely hit the covers in motion. Mine did

Attachments

• A140F659-B640-481F-9870-30229074DCE4.jpeg
    A140F659-B640-481F-9870-30229074DCE4.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 210FA95D-3EE1-4D08-B3FF-3D8DA12981D7.jpeg
    210FA95D-3EE1-4D08-B3FF-3D8DA12981D7.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 39
  • AC4FA88C-F9A2-4CF4-A7B1-393482818C5D.jpeg
    AC4FA88C-F9A2-4CF4-A7B1-393482818C5D.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 40
  • BE6BE337-B25B-42E7-B481-34D981377DB3.jpeg
    BE6BE337-B25B-42E7-B481-34D981377DB3.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 39
  • FBB3CCA3-191B-42F3-8F15-727D279D2D1C.jpeg
    FBB3CCA3-191B-42F3-8F15-727D279D2D1C.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 34

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I didn’t order push rods until I measured what was needed. I got 2 adjustable push rods and 2 solid lifters. Adjusted until the contact patch was the smallest in the Center 1/3 of the stem. Once I had the length I ordered those.
used the spacers from show cars, epoxied those to the bottom of the valve covers and used a 3/8 cork gasket. That got me enough clearance for the rockers and studs.
prior to that the rockers and the studs hit the covers. If your studs are hitting, the top of the rockers (Carb side) will likely hit the covers in motion. Mine did
Oh, no! Looks like you bought the 409 spacers. You need to be sure to order the 348 spacers to ensure they fit right. I'll buy those 409 spacers from you. :browHang in there, no matter what build we have its always a challenge to not just get the right parts but to know those parts are in fact the ones you need for your application. In the last 2 months I discovered a detail about my stroker build that created an issue. I had a rocker arm issues that wasn't going to work for my application, then I decided to switch camshaft which created other issues. LOL! You'll appreciate what you have now after this journey. :clap Enjoy!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
At this point,measure for needed length,call Comp Cams and order 5/16 push rods 080 thick.It'll be faster than Show Cars because they'll just have to order them from their supplier,most likely Comp.This foul up is exactly why you don't order push rods at the same time as the rest of the valve train parts unless the engine is going back together bone stock.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
At this point,measure for needed length,call Comp Cams and order 5/16 push rods 080 thick.It'll be faster than Show Cars because they'll just have to order them from their supplier,most likely Comp.This foul up is exactly why you don't order push rods at the same time as the rest of the valve train parts unless the engine is going back together bone stock.
Yes they drilled the heads for clearance and are installing 5/16"

'37-4D

Well Known Member

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I ordered mine from a local engine shop. They were Trend and took no time to get. Mine were custom length too. I live in Halifax which has a lot less options than where you are.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
I ordered mine from a local engine shop. They were Trend and took no time to get. Mine were custom length too. I live in Halifax which has a lot less options than where you are.
These guys are tied to the biggest CarQuest in Southern Ontario. Their reach is very good. Next day delivery most of the time if local. The machine shop has been around for over 40 years prior to merging with them (use to be Mckerlie Millen Auto Parts from the 50's up to 1997) is outstanding. I only wish I had gone to them first. Would have saved me an expensive mistake. On the bright side, I did learn a tone from this costly mistake. I knew next to nothing about motors and although I can admit I probably still wouldn't be able to build one by my self (for now), the vast amount of info that poured from this forum and the rebuild process at the shop is priceless. Well...almost :rub:cool:

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Anyone have photos of 348s or 409s with heads, spacers and vc on? I see pics of the spacers but not a motor that runs them.

Here are photos of the CNC'ed 1/2" spacers they made. They look real nice, but I can't get used to seeing the heads that way with them big ass gaskets :laugh4 Just a dry fit for now until the push rods go in. And it will all be painted to blend in for sure. Hard to visualize!! What you guys think?

tY0AHhx.jpg
TpSfI4x.jpg
dLtzmre.jpg
56xQxda.jpg
3T5YgsH.jpg
RFtwvky.jpg

Last edited: