348 Tri-Power Build gone wrong / Follow New Rebuild

'37-4D

Well Known Member
From the looks of those pistons,sometime early in it's life that engine was run into severe valve float.The cam that I think he's using is close to valve interference,but still works unless over reved into valve float.The amount of carbon on those marks indicates a one time thing,not a constant contact issue.That could have been the start of the crack for number 6 as well.If forged pistons had been used these marks wouldn't have happened because they have valve notches.The bearings appear to be damaged from dirt.
Thank you Don. Lots of great feedback, I will share with these new guys.

427John

Well Known Member
The carbon buildup on top of the pistons and combustion areas will happen quickly especially with less than optimum air fuel ratio,but the stuff on the block in the crankcase and timing chain area is old and the result of minimal cleaning.I've seen cleaner blocks cleaned out in the yard with a coffee can of gas and a paintbrush.If you've been there and done that let me get an amen.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
That sucks! Here in NS there’s only 2 shops I trust with a W and because I know they’ve been around since the 50’s, they’ve raced and seen these engines when in their prime. There’s a shop here when I asked them(came recommended) about the W motor and they failed my questions when they said “what’s that”. Never called them again. I’ve put mine together so far myself but being meticulous and many questions from the veterans here and I’m not an engine builder. I’ve gone through 3 valve pan gaskets checking my work! The right people like tooth said put the brakes on when an issue pops up. My heads are at the shop and they called yesterday and asked for the cam card because they questioned the spring pressure they had at 80 when the cam card said 110. That’s a good shop! You could do that rebuild yourself. All the info is here. Get the parts the guys here tell you and be patient. You’ll have something to be proud! Tim

'37-4D

Well Known Member
That sucks! Here in NS there’s only 2 shops I trust with a W and because I know they’ve been around since the 50’s, they’ve raced and seen these engines when in their prime. There’s a shop here when I asked them(came recommended) about the W motor and they failed my questions when they said “what’s that”. Never called them again. I’ve put mine together so far myself but being meticulous and many questions from the veterans here and I’m not an engine builder. I’ve gone through 3 valve pan gaskets checking my work! The right people like tooth said put the brakes on when an issue pops up. My heads are at the shop and they called yesterday and asked for the cam card because they questioned the spring pressure they had at 80 when the cam card said 110. That’s a good shop! You could do that rebuild yourself. All the info is here. Get the parts the guys here tell you and be patient. You’ll have something to be proud! Tim
I would love nothing more than to tinker on my own engine. Unfortunately I am a city dweller in a condo building. If and when I make the move to a house again, you can bet I will be setting up shop in the garage. Now that being said there is still a long road of knowledge to acquire before being able to tackle some of the complexities of such an intricate motor!

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
From the looks of those pistons,sometime early in it's life that engine was run into severe valve float.The cam that I think he's using is close to valve interference,but still works unless over reved into valve float.The amount of carbon on those marks indicates a one time thing,not a constant contact issue.That could have been the start of the crack for number 6 as well.If forged pistons had been used these marks wouldn't have happened because they have valve notches.The bearings appear to be damaged from dirt.

Maybe over revved on the dyno?

That sucks bad. As has been said on here a bazillion times the W's are a unique animal, not like building your average big block.

427John

Well Known Member
While there may have been W specific mistakes made too,the appearance of the inside of that engine would have been equally bad in a sbc or sbf this was a simple case of shoddy workmanship from start to finish,I hope you can get some satisfaction in the end,things like this should never happen.

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hello everyone,

Many of you will know this engine and truck as you most certainly followed the progress in the past.
I am creating this thread at @Don Jacks 's request to serve any new comers as a sort of heads up in preventing possible negative outcomes with their build.
Note, that I am not a motor guy and came here in the first place for guidance and advise which I received and more.

The story:
I purchase a Canadian 348 (872 block) with 971 heads that headed straight for a full rebuild at what I believed to be a pro shop referred to me by a few people. They had a good reputation for building race motors and street rod engines.
The motor was built, dyno'ed and came in at 275hp and 325 foot lbs torque. New everything except for the crank.
It was installed in the truck and I drove it home. Life was good :)
A week went by and I was ready for my first outing and trouble came knocking at my door immediately.
I will spare you the long drawn out story, but essentially they had to motor on 2 occasions to make it right. And both times I had to chase them to make it happen and both times it was never made right!!!

Some of the symptoms:
-Leaking oil profusely, most probably somewhere around the rear main seal. I was told: "These old motors always leak oil"
-High crank case pressure, lots of smoke coming from the oil fill tube. I was told: "The rings need to set" - 400 miles later.....still smoking.
-Did a pressure and leak down test (twice by 2 different people), #6 came in @ 70, the others around 150
-Plugs were always wet and black
-And something was off after a while with the way she idled and sounded.

After a few more attempts at contacting them and getting the bs run around, I called it quits. A friend approached me and offered help. I accepted.
His place of work is connected with one of our top shops here in Canada, province of Ontario. If I had only known him then!!!! Argghhhh....
Helped me pull the motor and had the head shop guy take it down.
The motor was taken apart and what we discovered wasn't so good !!!!

-The valves were hitting every single piston.
-The motor had never been tanked!!! and was filthy from 50 years of dirt.
-The tabs at the rear main seal never installed.
-The manifold splash guard never installed.

And a cracked and broken piston!!!
Overall assessment from the new guys, verdict: very poor quality work from the other shop!!!
And to think that they are considered a pro shop dealing with racing motors all day long. Inexcusable.
Needless to say I'm going after them for compensation.

See for yourselves:

ZOmPYtk.jpg
TxV95Ee.jpg
4qgXa2q.jpg
QU7VG1j.jpg
vNktuTY.jpg
5CAOoMZ.jpg
nVAIxi3.jpg
4Msi5vO.jpg
8IXW55r.jpg
yUvt969.jpg
l2aw7Nz.jpg
qykIwds.jpg
81gxlye.jpg
mZ494n2.jpg
lLsRhtr.jpg
Iysmk3D.jpg
MbdgGyK.jpg
NAJFdNI.jpg
EeDGCg9.jpg
B4uLJY0.jpg
is that a crack in the #1 cylinder wall in the 6th and 8th photo?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
is that a crack in the #1 cylinder wall in the 6th and 8th photo?
No,that looks like ring scratches more than cracks and there was no coolant in the oil.It was torn back down because of severe oil leaks and substandard performance.He's been fighting issues with this engine since day one.I told him over a year ago that this thing's going to have to come out and back down.There's something going on in there that isn't right.This engine,even when dyno'd was down on power in my opinion.I didn't expect all this.He's going to make some up grades to this engine and when it's back in the truck it will run like a decent stock stroke street 348 should.That light little truck will be a beast when the secondaries open up.:burnout

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
No,that looks like ring scratches more than cracks and there was no coolant in the oil.It was torn back down because of severe oil leaks and substandard performance.He's been fighting issues with this engine since day one.I told him over a year ago that this thing's going to have to come out and back down.There's something going on in there that isn't right.This engine,even when dyno'd was down on power in my opinion.I didn't expect all this.He's going to make some up grades to this engine and when it's back in the truck it will run like a decent stock stroke street 348 should.That light little truck will be a beast when the secondaries open up.:burnout
I was looking at the "crack" in the block at the bottom of the cylinder running from the cylinder wall to the side of the block. Is that a crack? It doesn't look like a casting line.

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Unfortunately, yes - that's the line I was referring to. If you blow the photo up, it goes all the way to the cylinder wall and leaves a gap at the wall.