348 Tri-Power Linkage

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Working my way through some less than desirable issues on my new to me 60 Impala. After inspecting the linkage on the 3 deuce carb. setup, I can see that the front and rear carbs only open up about 1/3 of the way by the time the center is fully open. I understand that in order to allow the center to open about 1/2 before the other two start to open, there must be an increase in linkage ratio to allow the end carbs to catch up. There is not room to move the end carb. rod up at the center carb. due to the choke housing will be in the way. Have a look at the photos, and see if this monkey shit setup is worth screwing with or should I source a better linkage kit and be done with it. It seems hokey to me.
Thanks in advance for your help.
IMG_4694.JPGIMG_4693.JPGIMG_4695.JPG

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Can you change the linkage on the front carburetor, maybe swap the rods in the two holes?

Gofish

Well Known Member
Would your trouble be solved if the rod from the center to front carb was in a ‘higher’ hole on the center carb linkage (I’m thinking one of the top two)? That should increase the travel of the front carb throttle, and therefore the rear was as well.

Like this one (from Vintage Speed)....
29024326-95A8-40DD-A131-012A55D05F00.jpeg

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the reply's.
The only way I can select another taller hole in the center lever is to move the linkage to the outer side of the lever. With the fuel line and choke housing, it's like an obstacle course waiting for a hang up.
Lots of kits of various configurations but I may just build my own.. I like the drivers side connection and transferring to the passenger side. Looks the nicest to me.
I love the progressive setup on my 409-425 hp. Simple and solid from day one.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Any one know a good source for replacement air horns/ carb tops? Some twit over tightened all of my air cleaner screws, broke one, and bent the others. I'll tackle that at the same time as the linkage. Probably clean up the fuel line situation as well. The PO virus is well in this area.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Any one know a good source for replacement air horns/ carb tops? Some twit over tightened all of my air cleaner screws, broke one, and bent the others. I'll tackle that at the same time as the linkage. Probably clean up the fuel line situation as well. The PO virus is well in this area.

Check with Charlie at Vintage Speed, he has lots of parts (look at on line catalog) also I would recommend their progressive linkage set up. I have used this set up for years on all my 3X2 conversions (not cheep) see attached.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Attachments

• IM000294.JPG
    IM000294.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 34

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks W Head, what fuel line arrangement are you using with that setup? Seems like mine would get in the way.

427John

Well Known Member
This is how mine is setup works fine.
back carbs come in around 30% and all carbs are 100% open at WOT.
been this way for about 10 years.

View attachment 83074View attachment 83075
I was going to ask why they didn't just leave the outboard link alone on the pass side and put the progressive link on the driverside where there was more room,but obviously some did.Looks like much better setup to me.Plus it eliminates the need for an extended throttle shaft on the center carb.