348 Tri power.

Pfc1

I'm looking for some opinions. I have a 348 and I'm looking to put on a tri power instead of the original 4bbl. I have a friend who had this setup on his before he sold it, he shared the info about how the outside carbs are different than the middle. He said he still has a center carb for that set up but not the outside carbs. Is it possible to modify a standard 2bbl to put in the outside positions, any help with this would be appreciated, thanks Paul

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes, you have to purchase new base plates made for the outer carbs. Probably some other changes also

427John

Well Known Member
While I have yet to do this myself,I am in the same boat and plan to do it also.I know it can be done with the correct bases for the outer carbs,but not sure about any other changes hopefully someone who has done this can chime in with details.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Check with Whead here on the site.I think that he uses parts from an outfit in Florida.Speedway motors also sells conversion kits but the quality of those parts runs from suspect to substandard.I'd suggest staying away from them.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That outfit is Vintage Speed.There was another one that someone posted about,very complete kit,but very pricey.

tenxal

Well Known Member
I'm looking for some opinions. I have a 348 and I'm looking to put on a tri power instead of the original 4bbl.

Are you looking to keep the O.E. tri power look or are you looking for increased performance over the factory single carb?

Pfc1

Just looking for the tri power look, it would be better than the OEM 4 bbl, it doesn't have to be all original parts either, I just want it to look correct and work.

Pfc1

So first I want to say thanks to everyone for send me links and information on where to find the parts required. I guess I didn't realize it was going to be quite that expensive. The prices vary quite a bit, I've seen kits just to do the outside carbs for 399. Or all three carb bases with the linkage for 895. I guess 120.00 for the manifold is pennies in comparison. I know that the complete setup isn't cheap, especially if you want all original parts, but converting 3 base 2bbl carbs.....OMG.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Check with Charlie at Vintage Speed. You will need kit # CL-Roch-Base Kit. you will need progressive linkage for a 348. Also I always use .61 jets on all carbs. I have done many, many of these conversions and they work great.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Last edited:

Gofish

Well Known Member
I did a similar ‘conversion’ that started with a true trip-power center carb (no air cleaner notch) and run-of-the-mill end carbs I bought at a swap meet. I used the Speedway Motors base plates for the end carbs (they are aluminum) and went to Vintage Speed for the progressive linkage, rebuild kits, etc. Here is something you might check out - I sent my carbs to All American Carburetor in Florida to refinish the outsides and you may be able to get the correct end carbs from them.

427John

Well Known Member
Speaking of 3x2's what would be a fair price for a 59 air cleaner with no rust in the bottom,all retaining brackets and top stud intact,top with 1 minor edge dent,short snorkel with some trumpet denting and long snorkel smashed down one side to about 1/2 of original height but definitely repairable?
Also the air splitters at the snorkel entrance to the base are intact.
P.S. Is the top lid smaller diameter than the top hole on the base?Doesn't the filter have a flange on top that it seals against?00m0m_b8lRWuJdJL9_600x450.jpg00V0V_kZj3sUUidAy_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

427John

Well Known Member
I'm looking at buying this,and would like to know if this original piece could be bought for 1/2 what show cars gets for their repro's,would that be a decent buy?