348 trouble

427John

Well Known Member
The pile of stock rockers I have aren't looking so bad now if I can find out out if the slots are long enough I just might use them.Does anybody know if the fulcrum balls are the same as sbc?

Reactions: Tim

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So both the ones in Larry's post and the ones from 61 bubble, and in the link are stamped from what I can see. The material and heat treat process can cause these issues. Compare my rockers to the broken ones, black/brown VS straw color, the color is an indication that the heat treat was different. I know my 43's are pre 2000/2002. Have been in the engine since then with 142# seat pressure on Isky springs. Is it possible that mine are pre Ch..... no no no Pre Covid American made Elgin units?

I do have these that I could install if I should be worried about failure. They came from my 409 when I broke a rocker stud and switched to 7/16 screw in studs and new rockers.

IMG_5067.JPG

blkss64

Well Known Member
The pile of stock rockers I have aren't looking so bad now if I can find out out if the slots are long enough I just might use them.Does anybody know if the fulcrum balls are the same as sbc?
Believe it or not, the fulcrum ball is the same as the 250 cu in Chevy 6 cyl. You can still get them from Chevrolet. I bought a set of NOS 409 rocker arms on EBay and the balls from the dealer.

427John

Well Known Member
Believe it or not, the fulcrum ball is the same as the 250 cu in Chevy 6 cyl. You can still get them from Chevrolet. I bought a set of NOS 409 rocker arms on EBay and the balls from the dealer.
Are the rockers the same too I knew they were 1.75 ratio like the w's but didn't know if they were the same,found out they were 1.75 because we were hopping up the 300 ford six in my sons bronco,turns out they are a bolt on and takes the rocker ratio from 1.6 to 1.75 and makes the cam effectively bigger.between the 240 head,chevy six rockers and the EFI split exhaust manifolds,the things a beast for a six cylinder.

blkss64

Well Known Member
Are the rockers the same too I knew they were 1.75 ratio like the w's but didn't know if they were the same,found out they were 1.75 because we were hopping up the 300 ford six in my sons bronco,turns out they are a bolt on and takes the rocker ratio from 1.6 to 1.75 and makes the cam effectively bigger.between the 240 head,chevy six rockers and the EFI split exhaust manifolds,the things a beast for a six cylinder.
I know the 348-409 factory rocker arms are different than the straight 6 rockers. The 6 cylinder rocker arms are longer and I think a little more narrow than the W rockers. I have not done a side by side comparison but by illustrations I have seen, they don’t match up. I wish they did..