348 value?

unclebrad

When I bought my truck, it had a 348, which had good power and ran smoothly. But, within weeks, it started smoking through the blowby tube. Not the tailpipe. That points to rings, I think.
So, since the trans started making a funny noise and leaking fluid around the same time, I decided to swap the engine for a 409, and the trans for a 700r4. (Which, with the trans swap, wasn't quite as easy as I had expected.)
Anyway, I have a 250hp 348 here, that I would like to sell. I have a friend whose neighbor has some interest, and I would like some advice regarding what the fair value might be.
Thoughts?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike is realistic, Don is spending someone else's money
The only thing of interest with a 348 is the block if you do a stroker, $300-$400 for the block.

Reactions: Tim

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Around here you can't even find decent 327 396 blocks for 400. Remember it's 2020 not 1986 and a lot of hot rodders are bored and are looking for projects. I got lucky about 2 years ago and picked up 2 almost complete 348's for 600 but I GOT LUCKY.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Show me any running 348 for 1000 and I will buy them all and not everybody makes a high dollar stroker out of these so we don't just use the block! I know next I'm going to hear it's people like me that drive these prices up but they don't go up for sale very often around hear and believe me I am constantly searching the web for 348 409 parts.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’d say the price depends on where you are, if they are plentiful, they are cheap. Judging by the volume of new people coming on this site, there is widespread demand and anything running should be worth more.

I see almost no W’s around here and lots of ads from people looking for them. And you don’t put cheap and building a W together in 1 sentence, buying a project one is just a start to the $$$$.

427John

Well Known Member
An engine that runs well and holds coolant pressure even with smoke tells you a lot,and for someone looking for a stockish 348 ci engine to freshen up and put in their car this will fill the bill perfectly and is well worth what Don quoted.If looking at a disassembled truck engine you have to remember that these were used in the era that some farmers saw coolant as an unnecessary expense and would fill them with straight water during harvest and then drain them again for winter,if they remembered.The rusty block with its guts in a milk crate can quickly become 2 or 3 before you find something you can use.And as far as prices 1958Delivery is stuck in the 90's,in this day and age even engines as common as forged piston 5.0 HO's out of mustang GT's can't be found for less than $500,the days of $300-400 blocks for common engines is nearly gone much less for uncommon engines like W's,sure you can still find some smoking deals on asshole motors like sbc's and sbf's but your going to have to look around a lot and wait till the deal shows up.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If the oil pan, timing cover and distributor come with it then $800-$1000
Anyone in their right mind will completely rebuild the engine. Unknown if standard bore or over size, guides in heads will be worn etc.
$2000-$3000to rebuild it
it might be worth it to install a PCV, which will suck up the blow by and might get along fine like that for awhile

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
If it were only a bare block, sure $300-400 is realistic. Except, this one is a complete running engine (albeit needing a bit of R&R); $1000-1200 is more in line with reality. Parts like the tins, water pump, crankshaft, et cetera all add up quickly if one is piecing together an engine. As stated earlier, not everyone is interested in building strokers with aluminum heads.