348 with 409 crank build

cruzin

Well Known Member
In this 348 i plan to put a 409 crank, Eagle 6,135 I-beam rods and a 0950 or 0951 cam.
The heads i have is 379 and i will use them and do a little port job and bowl work.
Im just missing the pistons and i will go with forged Icons and hoping Don J is telling me a part nr :) we have discussed it before but i cant find it. 483A79BD-9CD5-4C85-8C17-8E956F4A44CE.jpeg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
8935p30 Jan BUT that would only work with a 6.010 stock 409 length rod on a 409 crank or a stock stroke 348 crank and the 6.135 rod..If you would,cc that thing.I think it's going to make serious compression.If it does,I'd go up to the 0951 as the smaller cam may have too much cylinder pressure to run on pump fuel.

Last edited:

cruzin

Well Known Member
8935p30 Jan BUT that would only work with a 6.010 stock 409 length rod on a 409 crank or a stock stroke 348 crank and the 6.135 rod..If you would,cc that thing.I think it's going to make serious compression.If it does,I'd go up to the 0951 as the smaller cam may have too much cylinder pressure to run on pump fuel.

So there is no piston if i want to use the 6,135 rod i have?

I bought a 409 crank and rods here in Sweden so i have the 409 rods also. If ill go with that 8935P30 piston and 409 rods it will be pressed pins like original, is that ok with that piston?

cruzin

Well Known Member
Yes,that piston can be run either way.There will be no clearance issues here like you'd have if you were using cast pistons either.

You mean between pistons and valves?

Don, is there any alternative in rods if i want new ones with floating pins?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,Show Cars,and Lamar Walden sell an aftermarket rod that has all the features of a Scat or Eagle in the stock 6.10 rod length for the 409.There about 300 a set.You can get them either bushed or press fit.As to the clearance ,the area of concern is the larger 409 counter weights and the bottom of the piston interfere with with each other when using a cast piston at BDC.

cruzin

Well Known Member
Don, you gave advice to member ”Esetzer”

”You've over looked the cheapest stroker,which would be the 3.5 inch stroke 409 crank.With this crank,a 6.385 Eagle or Scat rod,the K-B Icon piston[Show-Cars pn 7815p30]”

This is also an alternative?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The "Old School" way to stroke a 348 using a 409 crank was 9.5-1 pistons on a 409 crank and rods.Now days we can use this,but either the crank counterweights on the crank will need to be trimmed down,or the piston pin boss area machined for clearance.Another option ,thanks to Show Cars, would be to use the Icon piston for the stock stroke 348 piston,and 409 crank and rods.This set up would be for the guys that want lots of compression[11 plus-1],and then theres the one mentioned above.

Last edited: