348 "x" Truck Block

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I like coating them with oil,but not filling them with oil prior to valve initial adjustment.Doing so can cause issues with getting the adjustments right.When you pre oil the engine,the air that's in there will be pushed out.
I'm a big fan of going back and checking the adjustments after I have a few miles on the car. Just to be sure so I can walk away for awhile and know that everything is good to go.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
while I here asking the experts-I just received some Hydraulic lifters from Show Cars and they came pre-loaded w/ oil. I have always set hyd lifters dry-how do you recommend setting them dry or soaked in oil first?
Soaking is fine, I do it. But don't pump them up.

july2849

Well Known Member
I agree with Don-that's how I learned it. These new lifters from Show cars are pre-filled (pre-loaded) with oil they won't move a fraction, I called and asked them, they said yes that's how they get them. Can I soak them in lacquer thinner or diesel or do I have to take them apart to clean them out? I'd then coat them w/ oil lube and install.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Any 348 with the X on it will only have one notch in it.These are the best blocks to use for a performance based 348 engine.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welding the blocke would be real pricey.
Most pistons are custom. Or if you can find a shelf piston, just figure how much compression you loose from the notch and get a piston with that much more compression. Bob