348er in Switzerland

Dä Huäbär

Well Known Member
Hi everybody

last year at this time , i visited St. Louis to inspect and buy a 58 Impala Coupe . it was an older frame off restauration and on the pics on the web , it looked very good . also on site it looked great . the paint and the chrome are in beautyfull shape . the bodywork was not welded and the underbody was only primed . the complet interior was renewed . the engine is running and i had a testdrive on the land of the seller . it drives , brakes and steers normal . on the lifting platform i saw a big bump in the right rocker and the powerglide was incontinent . all in all , a good car :cigar

after 3 monts the Impala arrived in Switzerland and I picked it up at the customs office . after an oilchange and brakefluidchange and different controls , i hit the road :drive. together with my girlfriend , we take a few joyrides and after about 300 miles there were strange noises from the engine . since 30 years i restore old cars and i know this noises - connecting rod bearing damage :confused :bang

since i have another project in my garage , I put the Impala in my barn for the summer . in Octobre i took it in my workshop ( at my place of work ) , removed the engine and disassembled it completly .

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 13.03.17.jpeg

more about that next time ;) , Kurt

Dä Huäbär

Well Known Member
on the outside the engine looked very good , but inside comes the nightmare . after the intake was away , i saw blocked cooling water ducts and from the left head runs water in the camvalley . on the waterleak it was a thick rustpampe on the inside of the block and i think , the water ran not only since yesterday :irk . after the cam was removed , 2 tappets are only downwards to remove , because they were rusted down below . on the camshaft was 1 cam completly round . but for a 7 cylinder actually the car runned great :D

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-03 at 12.57.10.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-03 at 12.57.11.jpeg

in the pan was a thick melange of dirt and small metalparts . the screen of the oilpump was almost completely stuck with dirt . i think that was the main problem , too little oil could be sucked in . he had oilpressure , so the light has gone out , but too little for more speed :thumbdown

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-03 at 12.57.11 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-03 at 12.57.11 (2).jpeg

after the connecting rod caps was removed , the disaster came on the light : from the 5 and 6 cylinder the big end of the crank was completly blue and the bearing shells are completely smashed :confused . all bearing shells have very strong signs of wear . i think , the low oil pressure was over a long time , before i buyed the car

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-03 at 12.57.11 (3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-03 at 12.57.11 (4).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-03 at 12.57.12.jpeg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I have quit a few 348 cranks and lots of parts for a 348 engine. To get the project off the ground I’ll donate a good crankshaft to your project just pay the shipping.
:appl:appl:appl.......RAY!!!!!!!!!............I am embarrassed that someone took advantage of you here in the states...... but I guess there’s shysters everywhere in the world......