3815857 head

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
anyone no what this is off of---date code 362, no suffix(letter) I can email pics if that will help anyone, Thanks, Dean head does have CFD code so is understand the three no. date code is correct---Mar6,1962

Attachments

• DCP_4832.jpg
    DCP_4832.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 84

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
anyone no what this is off of---date code 362, no suffix(letter) I can email pics if that will help anyone, Thanks, Dean head does have CFD code so is understand the three no. date code is correct---Mar6,1962

That's a julian date code. It's the 362 day of the calendar year ...never saw that casting number before. Is it a small port?:scratch

According to Mortec it's 58-62 348 truck but the julian date should be 63-65.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
date code?

My understanding is that some W heads came out of the CFD (central foundry division) and those heads like small block heads from CFD had 3 numbers only for the date code. In the book, Chevrolet by the Numbers 1960-64 page 72, says this date code 362, is Mar.6,1962. The head is small port and i also believe it is a truck head but have never seen this part no. I will try to take a pic and post it. Thanks for your help, Dean

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My understanding is that some W heads came out of the CFD (central foundry division) and those heads like small block heads from CFD had 3 numbers only for the date code. In the book, Chevrolet by the Numbers 1960-64 page 72, says this date code 362, is Mar.6,1962. The head is small port and i also believe it is a truck head but have never seen this part no. I will try to take a pic and post it. Thanks for your help, Dean

Dean,
Colvin was wrong. At the time he wrote the book little was known about the julian date codes that started when the castings went to the CFD markings....at least he wasn't aware of them. You will find CFD castings with date codes from 01 to 365. There is no year in the date code.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
348 funny head

Apoliges Cecil.... never to old to learn, wish i could find the cast no. somewhere, Thanks, Dean

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Dean,
Colvin's books are an excellent source of info but as with all things not perfect. There are mistakes in any research since so much of it is based on the researchers interpretation of the evidence they have. I learn something new everyday or, at least try too.:dunno
The info on this website ( mortec) is not perfect either but it is revised and updated periodically as new information comes to light. Sometimes it is the only place I have seen some casting numbers so it can be useful.

http://www.mortec.com/

Just remember we're all students here.:scratch :D

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
348 truck head?

I had a couple of small port heads with rather odd casting numbers, with date codes indicating 1961. I recall they end in "502" or something like that. I gave 'em away to a local car club for swap meet fodder. Figured they were truck 348 heads. They weren't a matched pair, so I wasn't too interested in them. They've been hauled to two swap meets this past year, priced at $100 and no one has been interested in them.

When I first saw them I noted the "61" part and got excited thinking they might be 1147s or whatever the early 409/360 horse heads were. Wrong!

Cheers,
TomK

sdb348

3815857 heads

I pulled a 348 out of a New Holland combine a few years back . Do they have rotators under exhaust springs. they used alot of 348 in farm equipment and portable water pumps