3D printers, anyone got one?

bobs409

Administrator
Well now, finally found something! :D Remember this from the Twilight Zone?

720X720-clockspring9.jpg

Small town diner, 1960, somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

Young go-getter William Shatner and his bride find themselves dropping pennies into a fortune telling napkin dispenser, and becoming slowly dependent on the results. While that young couple manage to tear themselves free and live to captain starships, will you be so lucky?

Do you dare face the Mystic Seer?!

This Mystic Seer is as authentically sized to the original as I could determine. Pull the lever, watch the Seer's eyes flash with mystical insight, and receive a ticket that answers your most profound yes/no questions...

Oh, and does it serve napkins? Yes! There are loops on the inside of the napkin holes that are intended to take elastic cord. Lace the cord over the white side panels so that they'll put tension on the napkins once in place. Alternatively, the panels are intended to simply be placed inside the holes, if there's no pressing need for napkin dispensing.

bobs409

Administrator
If you need a phone stand, there are literally a million to pick from! :facepalm

I saw the plastic bearing in my search. :D

So far, plastic hardware sorting bins are top on my list as well as knobs and electronic enclosure boxes. At least I found a few good uses. There are some other things like center finders and other small tools too. The search goes on... :read

bobs409

Administrator
Well, so much for that! It turns out the site I ordered from was sort of a fake. It was not the real creality site but someone from China selling them. They have TERRIBLE reviews! I say sort of fake as their website "implies" they are creality. Ya know, a bit of trickery. They really do sell them and if your lucky, they'll send one to you but not a gamble I care to take.

I was so busy (going nuts!) trying to find the right brand and model, I wasn't even thinking about fake websites! :doh

I ordered on April 28th and never heard a thing! No confirmation letter, no NOTHING! I was suspicious from that point so I did a lot of searching and found out what they really are.

Luckily Paypal helped and got me a refund! I never saw PP act so fast! I did the complaint late yesterday and this morning I still had no reply from the seller so I escalated the case for PP to look into. Within and hour or two they were already making contact with the seller and once they replied I got my refund.

What pisses me the most is google is the one that showed me the site! If you search creality 3d printer it's the crappy site that is ABOVE the real one! Many people order from them thinking they are a good company.

I tried to find a way to complain to google about it but that's like finding a phone booth these days. :sos

I'm now trying to decide if I even want to bother anymore. :cuss If I do, I'll be sure to go to the REAL site this time!

The real one is here:
https://www.creality3dofficial.com/

The fake has (creality3d.shop) as it's URL.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well, so much for that! It turns out the site I ordered from was sort of a fake. It was not the real creality site but someone from China selling them. They have TERRIBLE reviews! I say sort of fake as their website "implies" they are creality. Ya know, a bit of trickery. They really do sell them and if your lucky, they'll send one to you but not a gamble I care to take.

I was so busy (going nuts!) trying to find the right brand and model, I wasn't even thinking about fake websites! :doh

I ordered on April 28th and never heard a thing! No confirmation letter, no NOTHING! I was suspicious from that point so I did a lot of searching and found out what they really are.

Luckily Paypal helped and got me a refund! I never saw PP act so fast! I did the complaint late yesterday and this morning I still had no reply from the seller so I escalated the case for PP to look into. Within and hour or two they were already making contact with the seller and once they replied I got my refund.

What pisses me the most is google is the one that showed me the site! If you search creality 3d printer it's the crappy site that is ABOVE the real one! Many people order from them thinking they are a good company.

I tried to find a way to complain to google about it but that's like finding a phone booth these days. :sos

I'm now trying to decide if I even want to bother anymore. :cuss If I do, I'll be sure to go to the REAL site this time!

The real one is here:
https://www.creality3dofficial.com/

The fake has (creality3d.shop) as it's URL.
I try to use PayPal for all my internet purchases, they went to bat for me some years back on some badley misrepresented transmission parts. Long story short I got a full refund ASAP and the junk parts are still sitting in a box in my garage, PayPal really protects the buyer.

bobs409

Administrator
This has to be one of the hardest damn things I ever purchased! What is it with these 3d printers and supplies? Everything is SOLD OUT! There are more brands and models than you can shake a stick at! Reviews are all over the place and you really can't trust them too much anyway. :gaah

After the last debacle, I decided to re-evaluate to see if I still wanted that brand/model or even IF I still wanted a damn 3d printer! Earlier I saw a video that sold me on the Creality CR10 mini (same company) I would have bought that one hands down but it's sold out everywhere I looked. (except ebay but they want about $100 more than it should sell for, sorry, not that desperate!)

I just found the Ender 3 is available on the real Creality website. It's only $219, free shipping (from the U.S) and no tax so a great starting point. I don't expect I'll become a 3d printing maniac so no sense investing too much anyhow.

I do like the Ender 3 over the Ender 3 pro that I was going to get. It comes with the glass bed and not the magnetic sheet that most people complain about. The pro version really doesn't offer much so I'm fine with the original one. Most people seem to have liked it.

Well, here it is if I haven't bored you too much. :D
https://www.creality3dofficial.com/products/official-creality-ender-3-3d-printer?variant=31475587809353#Ender 3 advantage

Let's hope the drama is over... :grumble

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
I have a Creality CR10 Mini at home. It's alright for what it is. Obviously not as nice as a professional machine, but it produces better parts than the Makerbot that we have at work. The Ender is probably about the same. I had originally purchased it with the intention of printing parts to build a much larger machine that could then be used to print patterns for intake manifolds and such. Have not gotten around to that, though.

Be prepared to do a lot of tweaking of slicer settings if you want to make really nice prints. Also take care in ensuring all the axes are square to each other when assembling. You'll also need to periodically check the squareness of the X-axis gantry periodically. The print bed can also be tricky to get dialed in since they're often not flat, and you'll want to check it for each print.

There is also a lot of cheap, crappy filament out there. Read the various 3D printing groups and videos to find out what's good at any given time.

I'd also suggest downloading and learning the Fusion 360 CAD software. It's free for hobby use, but just as capable for what a hobbyist would be designing as the expensive software I use at work.

bobs409

Administrator
All very good advice! I've been doing lots of homework and I'm getting there. I like the youtube channel CHEP

He goes into all the details you pointed out and seems like a great source of information. I've been sort of binge watching his video's. :D

Just watched one by him showing the best way to assemble it and he goes over getting everything SQUARE right from the start! He's great at showing little tricks and settings for newbies like me.

bobs409

Administrator
Well the filament I ordered arrived. Now if I could do more than just look at it. :D

Funny thing happened earlier. That first place finally replied to my email asking about my order. The lady said since I opened a Paypal case that they would not be able to ship it. If I still wanted it, I'd have to order it again. YEAH RIGHT!!! :bonk:roll :mock

bobs409

Administrator
FINALLY!!! I'm finally a 3d printer owner. Geez, that didn't take long did it? Got here yesterday evening and I spent 2 hours, 15 minutes putting it together! Thank God for the video I found showing the best way to put it together. If I had to use the instructions that time would be doubled. :facepalm

Today is getting it all tuned in and maybe getting a test print done. More drama to come... :D

bobs409

Administrator
And now..... here's KITTY! :D

DSCN3975.jpg

My very first 3d print! This is one of the test prints that is loaded on the SD card for the printer. I had a choice of dog, owl or cat. For some reason I went with the cat. :p

DSCN3977.jpg

As you should have noticed, he's 2/3's white and 1/3 gray! lol They give you a sample of filament (white) with the machine but not enough to print the entire test file. :bonk I had already started it when I learned of this.

So... I got a crash course in doing a filament change in mid print! It went great though. Machine has a "change filament" function that helps you.

This little guy took 5 hours, 40 minutes and 6 seconds to make! Not for the impatient. I'll have to contact someone knowledgeable on these machines about the difference in quality between the gray and the white. The white looks fantastic but the gray has lots of graininess or porosity to it. ?? Two different brands of filament so maybe needed a different heat setting. ?

DSCN3974.jpg
DSCN3973.jpg

Better than a baby Yoda I guess. :D